STAFF SOFTWARE ENGINEER, TRUST AND SAFETY TOOLS
The Trust & Safety Engineering Team at Wikimedia Foundation is looking for Staff Software Engineers to help build features that protect our users privacy & safety on all of our Wikimedia projects, including Wikipedia. This role is full-time, 100% remote, & global.
The T&S Engineering Team is a new, interdisciplinary product team developing tools that help our T&S staff & the volunteer admins they work with to enforce policy, procedure, & laws across our projects & communities. This includes some light data analysis tools & some enforcement tools.
The daily work will include contributing new patches or pull requests for existing features, generating requirements & prototypes for new features, estimating new work, collaborating with a designer, or helping a volunteer engineer get their code shaped up. The stakeholders will be Trust & Safety experts that cross disciplines from Legal to Security as well as all the users impacted by these topics.
Stopping harassment on our projects is a pillar of our Foundations strategy & planning for the future. This team will work alongside the Anti-Harassment Team, which has been around for a few years. This team will be focused on tools that help protect & empower the most vulnerable people in our communities. This is important, highly visible work.
Because of the sensitive nature of the tools we build, our work is highly collaborative & heavily tested. We interact with database administrators, security engineers, & other teams on a regular basis. We value communication, enthusiasm, & eagerness to learn as much as certificates or degrees.
- Develop, test, & deploy new features, improvements & upgrades to various systems & tools used by administrators & staff
- Work with Foundation staff & volunteers on software design, development, testing & evaluation of potential technical solutions
- Ensure positive & constructive discussions with the community & the Foundation
- Work & communicate effectively within a small team distributed across multiple time zones
- Interest in front-end web application development skills
- Openness to working with a diverse & geographically distributed team
- Strong written communication skills as our collaboration largely happens online
- Bachelors degree in CS or related field or the equivalent in work related experience
Nice to Haves
- Experience mentoring other developers
- Experience with online community moderation or anti-harassment tools
- Experience with unit testing & integration testing & agile methodologies
- Experience with MediaWiki development or as a contributor to Wikimedia projects
- Experience with machine learning or AI technologies
Show us your stuff!
If you have any existing open source software that you've developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub, etc. are exceptionally useful. This is optional & your candidacy will not be negatively impacted if you dont have public work to share.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts & operates Wikipedia & the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, & that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, & sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities & partners who make Wikimedia possible, & advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia & free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants & gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce & continuously strives to maintain an inclusive & equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental & vision coverage for employees & their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body & soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education & much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible & generous time off - vacation, sick & volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long & short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) & an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation & parking expenses
- Telecommuting & flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking & coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) & monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff & contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven & intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack