At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization. From day one, Lyfts mission has been to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, & traffic a thing of the past. Thats why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where were building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers & creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds & areas of expertise, & each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software & hardware experts work in brand new garages & labs in Palo Alto, California, & offices in London, England & Munich, Germany. And were moving at an incredible pace: were currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
For this position, we are looking for an Engineering Manager with a strong technical background, hands-on software engineering experience, & leadership skill.
- Manage & grow our teams within the AV Software Platform Team. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, & work with the team to plan & achieve Objectives & Key Results (OKRs)
- Support setting the mid- & long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads & Level 5 leadership
- Foster a healthy & collaborative team culture & be a role model by demonstrating Lyfts core values
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members
- Drive engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs, & evangelizing software engineering best practices. Guide the team to balance rapid progress against technical debt
- Triage incoming issues from fleet testing, prioritizing & assigning them to engineers as appropriate
- Collaborate closely with leads & engineering managers working on different components across the org
- Grow the team by working with recruiting to identify & hire excellent & diverse engineering talent
- Ability to operate effectively & autonomously across multiple teams, & navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Ability to work with complex production-quality software & maintain quality through testing & release process
- Experience delivering products that involve software & hardware
- Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Intelligent products powered by embedded software (MCUs, etc)
- Real-time operating systems or embedded Linux
- High-reliability industrial software development (e.g. automotive, aerospace, manufacturing robotics, or similar domains)
- Able to motivate & instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- Openness to new or different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches & choose the best one based on fundamental qualities & supporting data
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems & solutions at all levels from engineers to top leadership
- 3+ years of people management experience, building teams & managing engineers
- (Nice to Have) Knowledge and/or experience in the AV / robotics field
- (Nice to Have) Demonstrated success leveraging Technical Program Managers (TPMs) & other resources to scale in highly-interconnected organizations
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.