As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Vox Media is looking for a VP of Development, Documentary & Series who will be responsible for soliciting, ideating, creating, & developing longform documentary television series & features for sale & license to network clients & partners. This position will report to the Head of Vox Entertainment.
What you'll do:
- Develop & execute original programming for network clients
- Find & create new documentary ideas, series, & features
- Oversee creation of pitch materials including paper, decks, & sizzle reels
- Build & maintain relationships with producers, filmmakers, directors, & production companies
- Pitch ideas to Networks & other buyers
- Communicate the development strategy to the creative & network community
- Work closely with independent producers, agents, production company reps, talent, & internal storytellers to source, develop, package, sell, & produce original programming
- Oversee creative for documentary series in production
What you'll bring:
- Bachelors degree
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with a network or production company of related experience
- Minimum of 7 years working in television series or feature development or related experiene
- Knowledge of & interest in Vox Media content & target demographic
- Comfortable in a high-growth, highly dynamic business environment
- Willingness to travel & have flexibility with nontraditional hours
- A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic, & highly motivated
- Strong relationships with Content Buyers, Agents, Producers, & Managers
- Strong communication, interpersonal, & relationship building skills
- Strong storytelling & hands-on production skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, & high energy environment
- Team player who works well with others
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Medias portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.