As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.coms video team is looking for a motion designer to create animations for our YouTube channel & other social platforms. Motion design is crucial to our distinctive explainer style. We need clear visuals that can help explain complex ideas to the general public. You must have a strong sense of design, typography, & data viz. Youll work closely with producers, motion designers, & our art director to utilize motion graphics thatll elevate our storytelling.
What you'll do:
- Edit & animate videos from start to finish
- Work with producers to create visual approaches for videos
- Provide motion design work to be included in videos
- Create templates for video series using style guides
- Design & animate charts & maps
- Develop & design styleframes
Other possible responsibilities:
- Help with visual research & mentor junior motion designers
- Create social media assets for our work across platforms including thumbnail images & original artwork
- Support the art director in team projects
What you'll bring:
- At least two years of experience in motion design/animation with Adobe After Effects or equivalent level of skill
- Experience in editing
- Experience in finding & collecting relevant archival footage & material
- Fantastic design taste & attention to detail/accuracy
- Data viz experience is a plus
- Stop-motion, painting, music, & nearly any other creative skill is a plus
- Deep familiarity with Voxs video voice & style
- Creative drive to explore brand new approaches to video storytelling
- Awareness of what competitors are doing in video
If this sounds like you, please send us a resume & cover letter. In your letter, please include at least 3 links to your past work (journalistic and/or educational examples preferred), & describe your role in the production of the piece.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.