Flywheel is seeking a seasoned, hands-on Head of Engineering to lead the ongoing transformation of the Technology organization into a world-class engineering team & culture. This leadership role will report directly to the CTO. This is an interdisciplinary role focused on technology architecture, product development, & team.
On the technology side, this role will work with the Lead Architect & CTO to advance the companys cloud microservices strategy, providing direction to developers on best practices around scalability, high availability, & fault-tolerance. For consumer facing mobile & web applications, this role will work closely with the development team on go-forward design patterns & frameworks best suited for front-end development.
For the product development aspect, the Head of Engineering will assess scope & feasibility of tech deliverables that tie into strategic company objectives, interfacing with all stakeholders to set expectations, & owning on-time & on-budget project delivery.
Finally, as the team prepares for its next level of growth, the Head of Engineering will need to understand what it takes to build a high-performing development organization from the interview process through ongoing career development. Candidate must show the ability to motivate & set clear standards on code quality/reviews, automated testing, & continuous deployment. This leader must champion the agile process & understand how to measure velocity & continual improvement as team KPIs.
Overall, success in this role requires the ability to take sometimes ambiguous or loosely defined company objectives, ask the right questions, & break it down into concrete, actionable steps. Flywheel is a brand-oriented company & this role must have a customer-first mindset, especially as the company expands into the home consumer market. Given the fast-paced, start-up environment, the ability to self-start & fill in the blanks is absolutely required.
- Bachelors Degree in any technical engineering discipline plus a minimum 5-8 years leading software development teams that have delivered exceptional consumer-facing digital experiences.
- Deep understanding of fault tolerant cloud architectures, especially based on AWS platform services such as ElasticCache, S3, & ECS.
- Hands-on experience with database design & modeling as well as NoSQL solutions.
- Experience leading mobile development teams to build & ship apps for the Android & iOS platforms.
- Hands-on experience building out a CD/CI pipeline & tools for container-based microservices.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively with both onshore & offshore teams as well as non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven experience scaling a talented development team to the next level & building a tech brand within the local community. Understands team culture & which recruiting techniques are the most effective. Experience rolling out an agile SCRUM process & tracking team KPIs
- Our ideal candidate is someone who can roll up their sleeves & wear many hats even if the work doesnt fall neatly within your job description.
- Hands-on experience with two or more modern programming languages.
- Bonus points for hardware engineering & industrial design experience.
- Experience with audio & video formats & technologies is a strong plus.