We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Counsel to join our Legal team. Want to help us transform the travel industry? The the ideal candidate will have experience independently providing day-to-day legal support to significant areas of a quickly growing business, such as logistics & fulfillment initiatives, digital & offline advertising & media initiatives, the development, manufacture & sale of new product types, & retail expansion. You will report to the General Counsel & this position will be based in Soho, New York City.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups & mandatory bias training, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What You'll Do:
- Be a legal advisor to teams at Away, including the Brand Marketing, Operations, Logistics & Fulfillment, Security, Systems & Technology & Retail teams.
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US & internationally, with an emphasis on business operations, retail operations, & commercial transactions.
- Draft, review, & negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SaaS agreements, services agreements with a wide range of suppliers & service providers, confidentiality agreements, data privacy agreements, releases & consulting agreements.
- Support our Brand Marketing team on consumer-facing projects & initiatives, including social media influencer agreements, production agreements, & product placement agreements.
- Develop & maintain expert current knowledge on new developments & legal guidance relevant to our business.
- Develop & operationalize policies, training, templates & workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Adapt existing approaches for international expansion.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Aways commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Create, update & manage legal policies, processes & resources for the company as a whole.
- Counsel & educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications & legal risks.
- Support corporate governance & related compliance matters, including drafting resolutions, amending operating agreements, & managing the compliance calendar.
- Support data privacy & other compliance initiatives, including keeping up to date on new & changing laws & working to implement & improve data minimization efforts.
- Participate in & assist with the management of our pro bono legal services program.
Who You Are:
- You have a J.D. from top law school with high academic achievement.
- You have admission to one or more state bars in good standing; NY Bar admission preferred.
- You have at least 4+ years of directly relevant experience, including time at a top law firm. In-house legal experience advising on commercial, operations & technology issues with a consumer brand strongly preferred.
- You have significant experience with independently drafting & negotiating contracts to completion & tackling legal issues through a business lens.
- You effectively provide practical advice to non-legal team members on a variety of legal & business issues, preferably in a start-up environment.
- You thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities & driving results.
- You have the desire & capacity to learn & teach.
- You have strong business acumen, excellent legal & practical judgment, & strong problem-solving skills.
- You focus on results with a high sense of urgency & demonstrated time management skills.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture & a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, & sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.