Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where & Why
Twilio seeks a Product Director to be a key leader in the formation of a new offering in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping a platform of Building Blocks, or horizontal primitives, that are the bedrock of our Engagement Programmable Apps.
As Product Director of our Engagement Building Blocks, you will guide product managers that are facilitating the identification & execution of cross-BU platform Building Blocks that span orchestration (workflow & intelligence) & communication (data, content, multichannel). As each of the Building Blocks needs to provide independent customer value, you will be responsible for collaborating with BU product leaders, establishing & managing relationships with F500 design partners, as well as the voice of the customer in C-level leadership strategy conversations.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- You are first & foremost a people person who has the ability to attract & motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble, & have empathy as a key trait
- You have experience managing product managers for 4-5 years (eng managers a bonus!)
- You have hands-on experience shipping API-first platform products with heavy data & ML components
- Youve worked on a customer-facing CRM platform
- Youve executed a cross-BU strategy in close collaboration with senior product, engineering & program management leaders
- Youve explored (bonus: executed!) M&A / inorganic paths to accelerate growth & progress in a structured, systematic way
- Youre at your best when working with customers, comfortable digging into APIs with developers & talking presenting a high level strategy to business leaders
- You have experience managing a remote & diverse international team, & collaborating with engineering across multiple time zones including Bangalore
- You have a flexible leadership style & demonstrated experience working with senior product leadership to help define, distill & communicate a platform product strategy
- You have experience setting a high bar for your team - & the teams with whom you collaborate closely - through BPMs/OKRs & defining the KPIs for their success
- Youre a connector - you have a knack for connecting people & building bridges across different teams & locations. Youre also an agent of change - you leverage your communication skills & EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build
- Youre able to distill complex & ambiguous situations into actionable plans
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced environment, strong organizational skillsboth for yourself & for the organizationwill be required
- Youve solved complex problems & have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters, using customer research as your guide
- Bonus: You have a CS background & an MBA
As a Director, Product Management, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- This is not a traditional product role. Much of this role will involve managing a small team of highly visible technical PMs (TPMs) to facilitate the iteration & execution of our vision for the broader Twilio Engagement Platform. The role will include coaching those TPMs on how to collaborate across-BUs to ensure the Building Blocks of our platform are backed by customer research & developed consistently for customers. This will be a highly influential role across our BUs.
- DONT SETTLE: Keep product teams across Twilio connected for multiple strategic initiatives through 1) your relationships with product leaders across the company, & 2) the influence of your PMs. Provide support & guidance that enables the team to self-organize & to predictably deliver customer value. Foster a culture that encourages individual decision-making, innovation & metrics. Inclusive communication will also be critical to maintaining alignment & our culture across our global locations.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES: Collaborate on roadmaps with product & engineering leaders across San Francisco, Denver, Madrid, London & Bangalore to ensure teams have clear direction (the why!) & priorities rooted in customer data.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Inspire your teams & manage their career development by providing coaching & mentoring to junior members while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives & provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting & motivating top talent.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Be hands-on with the teams across BUs - both product & engineering. You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in cloud-based infrastructure design & operations to recognize the important decisions teams face & give meaningful advice, based on customer use cases.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Institute product management best practices - ensure teams produce high quality customer research, understand & communicate the customer problem, & document the solution (UX, APIs docs, blueprints) & GTM strategy (including pricing) - in congruence with the Twilio Way.
- BE AN OWNER: Foster leadership principles & behaviors throughout the organization to build up the next generation of leaders. Understand when you need to escalate.
- Travel required - up to 25% of the time post-COVID
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the worlds communications. Increasingly, were hearing from our B2C customers that theyre struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors cant replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative & team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement & Twilio, this team is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.