Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
You are a process-driven individual who loves checking items off your to-do list. You are always thinking of ways to make complicated tasks more efficient, while keeping a keen eye on the big picture. You have a knack for foreseeing when a situation could be risky & resolving it quickly & appropriately.
You grasp complex topics quickly & are adept at thinking on your feet to solve problems in a creative & holistic manner. You are a strong communicator & an experienced people manager who enjoys interacting with others to address any issue that comes your way. You take comfort in numbers & data-driven conclusions while possessing a strong intellectual curiosity for how things work. You are excited to support our broker dealer operations team & play a crucial role in keeping our business growing & running smoothly.
At Betterment, our Operations team is keen on efficiency & iteration. We are talented & eager to learn from our colleagues, & to help make them better. There is no job too small for us; we are focused & we always strive for excellence.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $125,000 - 145,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a commission bonus.
A day in the life
- Run the daily operations of Betterments Broker/Dealer function, leading the team to:
- Oversee a team of ~ 8 Broker/Dealer Operations associates & managers
- Serve as the ultimate escalation point & resolve all customer-related operational issues
- Drive improvements to operational processes to increase efficiency & scalability
- Troubleshoot operational problems & collaborate with the engineering team to employ fixes
- Drive conversations about shaping team deliverables & structure
- Work with the Customer Experience teams on operational topics to provide a unified customer experience
What were looking for
- Prior experience at a bank/financial institution in back-office operations, finance, investing, or business administration
- 2-5 years of people management experience, including experience with growing & improving skill sets across a team
- High technical aptitude & proficiency with Excel/Google Sheets
- Excellent organizational skills & attention to detail
- An anticipatory & proactive approach towards problem-solving & interacting with senior management
- A metrics-oriented nature
- Innate curiosity & ability to learn quickly & problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Strong intuition to assess & resolve unclear situations
- Exceptional communication skills
Bonus Points If You Have:
- SQL experience
- Former experience working at a broker-dealer or regulated financial institution
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.