More & more companies are using GitHub Enterprise, so the support team is growing. When our customers have problems, they contact us & it is our goal to help them as quickly & awesomely as possible. We're growing our team of Customer Reliability Engineers to help ensure the technical success of our largest & most complex customer deployments, comprised of on-premise installations of GitHub Enterprise Server & GitHub Enterprise Cloud.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Work with assigned customers via support tickets and/or real-time interaction (phone/screen sharing) to solve technical issues related to their usage of GitHub products.
- Act as single point of contact for technical issues with ability to troubleshoot & resolve complex issues independently.
- Gather metrics around tickets, issues, training needs, & so on for your assigned accounts for quarterly business reviews.
- Collaborate with the Support & Engineering teams to resolve product issues requiring code changes.
- Lead incident response for outages affecting assigned customers, followed by delivery of postmortem reports.
Tickets are usually opened by customer system administrators, & can include investigating load or networking issues, debugging application errors, & discussing feature requests. You'll also work with our engineering team to prioritize issues & development, & our documentation team to improve customer-facing resources. You dont need to be a Git expert, but you do need to have technical experience & a passion for helping people.
GitHub works remotely & asynchronously as much as possible. While this role does not require you to live near our office, it will require some travel to meet with co-workers or attend company events. This role may require working non-standard working hours, including weekends & holidays on-call as part of a team-wide rotation.
- Act as a single point of contact for specific enterprise customers to provide performance, & best practice advice & assessment related to GitHub & customer's infrastructure.
- Understand & maintain documentation around the customer infrastructure, workflows, & configuration of GitHub Enterprise Server or GitHub Enterprise Cloud environment.
- Provide phone coverage during shift for Premium Support customers.
- Coordinate & collaborate with other teams at GitHub when additional expertise is needed to resolve customer issues.
- Provide guidance & assistance with customer support tickets often involving Linux servers, source code, & web application issues.
- Manage customer incidents & outages, including joining Zoom/screen share sessions for live triage.
- Perform incident postmortems, ticket analysis, & system health checks for Premium Support customers as needed.
- Lead quarterly business reviews for the assigned accounts by presenting metrics, data, & health check summary & recommendations.
- Organize & lead weekly/bi-weekly touchpoints with assigned accounts to review ongoing Support issues & projects.
- Work proactively with customers on activities such as coordinating upgrades & ensuring their installation is running smoothly.
- Set-up & onboard new assigned customers into the program.
- Work with Sales to outline the GitHub Premium Support program & features to potential customers.
- Provide weekend on-call support as part of the team rotation (8 hour shifts, during normal work hours).
- 2+ years experience in a customer support/success role working with Enterprise customers
- Familiarity with GitHub and/or Git
- Familiarity with Linux (Debian/Ubuntu)
- Proficiency with and/or ability to understand & update code & scripts (Shell, Ruby, Go)
- Working knowledge of common applications in the web application stack like HAProxy, Nginx, MySQL, & Unicorn
- Exceptional verbal & written organizational, presentation, & communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working directly with customers, & building a deep understanding of what makes their tools work
Bonus points if you have...
- Knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Experience using Splunk, Sentry, Datadog, etc...
- Experience providing real-time, customer-facing support (phone/screen sharing)
- Familiarity with some flavor of production-level virtualization platform and/or cloud provider (e.g. VMware ESX, KVM, AWS, Azure)
- Working knowledge of containers (e.g. Docker/LXC) & orchestration (Swarm, Kubernetes, Nomad, etc)
Why you should join
Working at GitHub is, to put it simply, a special slice of the universe. We're committed to transparency, collaboration, experimentation, & always staying classy.
Ensuring that GitHubbers are healthy, motivated, focused, & creative is how GitHub stays awesome. Part of this is ensuring that our benefits* are out of this world!
In a nutshell, we've built & are growing a place where we truly love working, & we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds & lifestyles, & we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask your recruiter!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, & to create the worlds most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come togetheras individuals & in teamsto create the future of software & make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, & create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused & creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds & lifestyles. We embrace diversity & invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.