Company Description|Job Description
We believe conquering cancer is a big data problem. That's why we built the world's leading comprehensive liquid biopsy. This non-invasive tool for accessing & sequencing tumor DNA is used by thousands of oncologists to help tens of thousands of advanced cancer patients. We believe the boom in cancer data acquisition we helped launch will drive important discoveries & new products. We're working on some exciting ones, including in early detection, where the impact on patients can be profound. We've raised more than $500 million from investors including Sequoia Capital, Khosla Ventures, OrbiMed, & SoftBank.
To enable Guardant Health to lead the disruption of cancer treatments through non-invasive cancer screening, the Technology Development Team is seeking a highly motivated Summer Intern - Tech Dev to help develop, test, & improve sample preparation technologies for rare variant & epigenetic studies with next-generation sequencing. At Guardant, we leverage the most advanced technologies & work with leaders in many different fields to create the most impactful & meaningful technologies for cancer management.
As a Summer Intern - Tech Dev supporting product & technology development, you will work with members within the team & interface with multiple teams including process engineering, clinical operations, research operations, & bioinformatics. You will be hands on in the lab & have the opportunity to participate in projects focused both on development & research on technologies related to liquid biopsy sequencing for the early detection, treatment, & monitoring of cancer. These projects include work to ensure stability of deployed assays as well as & learning to design, implement, & validate new technologies for future assay development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform basic lab practices such as micropipetting, simple chemical calculations, & performing established assay protocols.
- Adhere to basic lab & bloodborne pathogen safety practices.
- Maintain experimental records in written or electronic lab notebook formats.
- Work under supervision of research associates & tech dev scientists.
- Bring a can-do attitude to solve new & challenging problems in a high pace environment.
- Be able to present updates orally, write reports & SOPs, & participate in technical discussions.
- Completed Coursework in molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or oncology is preferred.
- Previous experience handling biological samples (i.e. tissue, biofluid, etc) is preferred.
- Professional hands-on experience in industrial setting in genomics field is a plus.
- Hands-on experience in running sequencing platforms & assays is a plus.
- Experience with process automation for nucleic acid extraction & sample preparation is a plus.
- Local candidates in San Francisco Bay area are preferred.
Students pursuing or recently completing BSc in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or related field
Employee may be required to lift routine lab/office supplies & use office equipment. Majority of the work is performed in a laboratory or a desk/office environment; however, there may be exposure to high noise levels, fumes, & biohazard material in the laboratory environment. Ability to sit/stand to work for extended periods of time. Ability to work at a computer for extended periods.
No travel is required for this role.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.