ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting directly to the Chief Legal Officer & company co-founder, the VP Government Relations will be responsible for leading the companys government affairs, public policy, & advocacy agenda. As the first hire & leader, you'll be responsible for developing the function & strategy for the company across regions, product areas, & functions. Youll combine creativity & intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects & initiatives. In this role, youll advocate for Peloton to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception & direction. You will be required to organize, manage, & communicate about critical plans, initiatives, & strategy, contributing analytical & organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person & writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop & implement creative ideas, & the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. Additionally, you'll bring experience working with or in a corporate public policy team, government, or NGO as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical & policy issues. Peloton takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government & other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs & Public Policy (GAPP) function will lead the companys engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators & third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Peloton leaders, the GAPP function will seek to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others views & opinions, & distill & share the companys perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. Our issue areas are increasingly broad & encompass many areas where public policy, business, & technology intersect.
- Design & implement a government relations strategy that promotes company objectives through compelling public policy & advocacy in government & public arenas at the Federal & State level.
- Develop & lead public policy strategy for the company, coordinating with a cross-functional team to design Pelotons policy positions & strategies to support our global business objectives & drive favorable policy & regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting the digital connected fitness ecosystem, including data privacy & security, content moderation, competition, & cross-industry relations.
- Work globally to develop public policy strategies & positions for Pelotons products & services, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage with policymakers, industry players, & key opinion formers.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive Officer & senior management on strategic engagement before federal and state legislative & regulatory bodies, & other related constituencies.
- Partner with outside lobbyists & associations to advance & protect the companys interests.
- Manage all Federal & state government affairs activities including coordinating & monitoring legislative initiatives as prioritized by business needs & attending all association meetings as appropriate.
- Collaborate & communicate with various teams across the enterprise on initiatives & issues that impact the organization, including product, communications, community engagement & sales, as well as trade associations.
- Evaluate pending legislation which may have impact on the company & develop & prepare timely recommendations & communications for senior management & key business leaders.
- Ensure alignment of all activities pertaining to government affairs, including the coordination & oversight for all internal & external messaging with local & state officials (in conjunction with Communications).
- Establish & maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry & non-industry individuals & groups who can compel/promote public, community, & government actions favorable to the company.
- Work with various trade associations & public policy groups to identify priorities & develop positions that support the companys business goals.
- Oversee the annual budget & allocate resources effectively.
- Monitor & track lobbying activities & contributions for reporting purposes.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 14 years of experience working on technology policy issues within corporations, government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Prior experience working in a government affairs function within a consumer-facing, publicly traded company, as well as setting strategy & policy
- Experience within the manufacturing, technology & healthcare industry & familiarity with the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience at a technology company, NGO, or similar organization, handling technology policy issues with international implications.
- Familiarity of public policy issues associated with the health insurance industry.
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product & engineering and/or manufacturing & operations teams.
- Team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing & sometimes stressful environment.
- Excellent leadership & communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
At Peloton, we dont just accept differencewe celebrate it, we support it, & we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products & our community. Peloton is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy & benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience & comfort of home. We use technology & design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, & Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks & challenging the status quo by continuously innovating & improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, & we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses & retail showrooms in the US, UK & Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 & Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.