ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
Were looking for a talented web developer with a critical eye for design to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
Reporting to the Director of Frontend Engineering, youll be collaborating with engineers working on our web site to implement responsive & accessible designs that perform well & wow our users. Your expertise in building interfaces will be applied to products, editorial packages, & custom executions for our sponsors. Youll collaborate with people from across the business, making sure that our user-facing applications & services reflect our values & exhibit the utmost quality.
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- Experience with visual templating frameworks like LESS, SASS, and/or SCSS
- Experience with vanilla CSS
- Ability to write clean, accessible, semantic HTML
- Keen attention to detail for alignment, typography, & overall UX
- Experience with Sketch & InVision for design delivery
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Portfolio of sites / services youve worked on
- Experience in UX design and/or user research
- Familiarity with the next.js React framework, or with React in general
- Familiarity with Storybook for reusable components
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.