We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Editorial Tools Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized & dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands & working with modern web technologies. As a member of the team, you will help lead our initiative to build scalable & intuitive content distribution systems across our internal & external platforms, with the goal of streamlining our processes around content publishing, sharing, & analysis.
The engineer in this role will be responsible for the architecture & maintenance of our distribution platforms. Your initial tasks will be centered around our media management systems & RSS feeds.
In a typical week, you will:
- Onboard new partners/platforms to our distribution system
- Enforce tagging & data standards to ensure reliable content delivery to partners
- Architect & implement new methods & frameworks for managing distribution channels
- Evaluate & grow our internal tool suite, & make daily life easier for our editorial & engineering teams
- Utilize & contribute to open source projects
- Learn something new & awesome every day!
Technologies That We Use & Love:
- AWS Lambda, SNS, SQS
- Drupal 8+
- Google Firebase, GraphQL, MySQL
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Docker, Kubernetes
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has 2+ years working with Node.js
- Has experience building RSS feeds
- Can communicate the pros & cons of a technical decision to anyone, regardless of their engineering experience
- Possesses the ability to mentor, share, & continuously refine their software engineering knowledge
- You thrive in a diverse workplace where knowledge-sharing & professional development is an important part of our culture
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You are an advocate for clean, concise code & internal documentation
- You are passionate about open source software & maintaining best practices
- You keep performance, optimization & speed top-of-mind when developing new features
- You can prioritize your work & understand business priorities
- You have the intuition to break large problems into smaller ones
Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.