Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can change policies & shift public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the worlds of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact in countries & regions across the globe.
About the COO Role
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will be the strategic & executional leader of operations at Purpose. The COO is responsible for the organizations overall performance across a range of dimensions including: operational efficiency, staff talent density, work product excellence, organizational reputation, revenue, & earnings. The COO & the heads of Purpose Labs & the global Purpose Agency comprise the 3-person Executive Management Team, which develops & executes the organizations strategy in collaboration with the CEO. While the CEO focuses on critical market facing work, the triumvirate will run the organization day to day.
The COO, in consultation with line of business leads, heads of office, function leads, & others, will develop, implement, & oversee a set of systems & processes that govern how the organization operates. These systems include project team staffing & allocation, utilization tracking & reporting, recruiting & hiring, tracking & reporting on financial targets, & professional development & performance management. The COO role is primarily internal, though in certain instances may include external responsibilities, as well.
This role is based in New York City. Applications close onApril 15th, 2020
- With the CEO & Executive Leadership Team, develop growth strategies & execution frameworks that enable the organization to hit key revenue & earnings targets
- Implement a set of effective & efficient systems, including project team staffing & allocation, utilization tracking & reporting, tracking & reporting on financial targets, recruiting, & professional development & performance management
- Systems should ensure the organization has all necessary operational controls
- Systems should remove extraneous administrative obstacles & distractions so project teams in Purposes offices around the world can focus on doing great work
- Systems should scale globally as the organization grows
- Manage the heads of all operational & administrative functions, including finance, talent, IT, HR, legal, & facilities
- Manage the heads of office in New York, Europe, Asia-Pacific, India, & Brazil, in close consultation with the heads of Purpose Labs & the global Purpose Agency
- Establish a culture of results-oriented management throughout the organization
- Instill a spirit of open communication & enhance formal communication channels among all departments & levels to ensure efficient coordination across offices
- Continually & proactively look across the organization & identify the best, highest-leverage priorities for improving the organizations impact
- 15-20 years of overall relevant professional experience
- Track record of producing great results in 5+ years managing the operations of a professional services firm or a similar organization
- Experience working in the social impact sector
- Good judgment in a variety of complex, fluid situations
- Intellectually agile, able to quickly conceptualize complex, dynamic situations
- Persistent in implementing systems changes & steady in holding high standards
- Comfortable admitting mistakes & making adjustments on the fly
- Motivated to work primarily internally & capable of being market facing as needed
- Strong written & verbal communication skills & outstanding emotional intelligence
- Respectful, collaborative, & energetic leadership style
- Fluent in & able to extract actionable insights from financial statements
- Deep integrity & evident maturity
- Good listener
If this describes you & you are excited by the challenge of making Purpose hum as COO, we want to talk to you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role in the form below. Applications close April 15th, 2020.
The salary range for the COO role is $150,000 to $200,000 (commensurate with experience) + great benefits, in addition to a performance-based incentive structure.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Purpose is an equal opportunity employer.