Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership & enabling women to rent, subscribe to & purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 700 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Job:
As Senior Privacy & Technology Counsel you will serve as the lead attorney & strategic advisor supporting Rent the Runways engineering, IT, & security teams & collaborate with colleagues across the business on a variety of technology-related projects & initiatives. You will be responsible for privacy compliance & intellectual property matters at Rent the Runway & support commercial technology transactions. You will have an influential leadership role & opportunity to positively impact our culture & employee experience.
You will report to the General Counsel. In light of COVID-19, you will work remotely until Rent the Runways NYC headquarters reopen.
What Youll Do:
- Be a thought leader & subject matter expert to ensure Rent the Runways compliance with evolving global privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR, COPPA, CCPA, other state privacy laws).
- In partnership with the security team, drive operational privacy compliance initiatives, build scalable & effective processes, & continue to develop & lead internal privacy policies, procedures, & training programs.
- Lead & oversee Rent the Runways incident response plans & processes in partnership with the security team.
- Structure, negotiate, & draft a variety of cloud, software licensing, hardware procurement, & IT services agreements, as well as other complex commercial agreements with a focus on privacy & IP matters.
- Partner with the product & engineering teams & your colleagues on the legal team to advise on privacy, open source software, & IP considerations in the development of products & features.
- Develop & lead Rent the Runways IP strategy & oversee our IP portfolio.
- Oversee litigation related to IP, privacy, & technology matters.
- Monitor & advise on emerging regulations.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Serve as a mentor to other members of the legal team.
- JD & NY bar membership or registration as an in-house attorney in NY.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience. Prior in-house experience is essential.
- Expertise in global privacy regulations & implementing privacy compliance programs in-house.
- Experience drafting & negotiating a variety of cloud, software license, & IT service agreements.
- A practical, business-oriented approach & ability to translate legal issues into clear, plain English guidance for non-lawyers.
- A highly collaborative approach, while also exercising a great deal of autonomy as a subject matter expert.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment & an ability to calibrate when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- An ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong relationships & influence across departments.
- An ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects under tight deadlines.
- Experience with technology and/or IP litigation is a plus.
- Managerial experience is a plus.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the well-being of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.