As Thrillist's audience development strategy lead, the Director of Audience Development will focus on audience growth across all Thrillist audience touch points including social, email, website & podcasts, while overseeing a team that handles strategy & publishing for all of our social media accounts (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, & whatevers next), by working closely with our creative, video & written teams to connect their work to our audience everywhere.
You will be responsible for setting the strategy for growing reach & engagement across all active platforms & partner closely with the Group Nine Audience Development team to manage the stream of communication between our editors & our audience.
You will inform video & creative producers as well as writers in distribution best practices & methods to ensure their content has the widest reach possible. You will be focused on KPI of building loyal audiences & expanding Thrillists reach everywhere.
- Own the performance of all distribution platforms
- Manage a team of social media strategists who publish content & engage with our audience on every platform
- Provide ongoing feedback & support to editorial teams about their data & how it can inform their creative strategies
- Oversee & enforce the execution of best practices across all distribution platforms
- Hands-on, real-time management & strategy of multiple social platforms at once, either directly or through strategic planning with your team
- Continually improve our best practices to improve the feedback loop with our editorial team with a clear focus on bringing in new audiences & converting them to loyal users
- Be the point person for distribution best practices & share these with the larger editorial team
- Use platform & site analytics to help determine what an audience is thirsty for
- Identify platform-specific best practices for how to best engage & grow audience
- Establish the ideal mix of native vs. curated vs. site-driving content for each individual platform
- At least 6 years of audience development and/or distribution experience in digital/editorial publishing
- At least 2 years of management experience
- At least 4 years of experience using Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, ChartBeat, YouTube Analytics, Looker, & similar tools
- Very comfortable providing feedback to editorial & management teams on performance
- Experience building an engaged audience on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Email, Website, TikTok & other distribution platforms on a massive scale
- Be a platform expert on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, & YouTube
- Well versed in SEO & email newsletter strategy
- Deep understanding of audience behavior, engagement strategies, & platform best practices
- Ability to constantly juggle multiple priorities
- Possess a deep understanding of native content on a platform by platform basis