Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquares business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; & drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter & Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide & Swarm. Over the past 10 years, weve counted more than 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map & models fresh & up-to-date.
About the Role:
Foursquare is seeking an experienced Engineering Director to lead the evolution of the engineering teams & tech upon which our products & our business are built. You will liaise with business & product leaders to align efforts/priorities with business goals. You will help to optimize team structure & process to drive execution & accountability as well as provide career development, coaching, & mentorship to the members of your teams, & cultivate emerging leaders. In this role you will identify & surface staffing needs, think strategically about the growth & evolution of the team(s), & help shape the future of engineering at Foursquare.
- Provide leadership across the engineering community in Foursquare to ensure solutions are built in alignment with our principles & standards.
- Ensure that all relevant project teams follow a common set of principles & patterns
- Act as an evangelist for eng teams & works with teams in Foursquare to keep them apprised of future plans.
- Determine OKRs, project planning & resource requirements to accomplish projects & support customers.
- Oversee the development, implementation & execution of multiple projects ensuring scope & schedule are established for projects; oversee operating plan & resource allocation for the department, including prioritization & staff deployment; act based on changes in priorities.
- Formulate & execute process & organizational improvement direction & programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seek ways to improve human resource & other management processes.
- Weigh in on key technical & managerial decisions for the team.
- Have 8+ years of proven industry experience, with 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams
- Possess strong written & verbal communication skills
- Understand how to diagnose & shift culture & organizational processes, including software development practices & career growth management
- Be comfortable managing many work streams, & coordinating resources & prioritizing work across teams & products
- Be comfortable interfacing with senior management & executives, including assessing & communicating risk
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.