Communication has changed for people. Its changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycleacross acquisition, engagement, & support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, & so much more.
What's the opportunity?
Were looking for an experienced design manager to grow our people & products. Design managers at Intercom directly support product designers in delivering the best work they can while also working on high-level strategic design projects themselves. The opportunity to have impact at both of these levels is massive: youd be joining as just the fourth product design manager in the whole company, so youll have very real ownership & potential to define the role & make your mark. At the same time, were not just starting outtheres a stable & mature environment & an existing base on which you can build. All together, youll have the opportunity to do the best work of your life.
We've had designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning. This has made design a core foundation of our company's DNA. This means that you'll never have to justify the importance of design. We genuinely care about people & value kindness in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn & grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work here, check out intercom.design, read what makes us different, & watch a keynote from our CEO talking about our mission, vision & the next chapter of Intercom. If youre passionate about helping product designers to grow & learn while shipping high-quality product that solves real problems for customers, we'd love to hear from you! By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don't let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing?
- Managing several product designers & senior product designers across multiple products (initially on our Growth Design teams, & later expanding to own other product areas)
- Coaching & providing feedback on your teams performance, helping them to develop clear career development goals & action plans on how to achieve them
- Ensuring the smooth running of projects on our teams & delivery of high-quality design work so that we can continually improve how we design & build products
- Helping to shape the future vision of products & driving strategic design work in exciting areas, such as conversational design, messengers, machine learning & more
- Partnering directly with our Director of Product Design in Dublin to evolve the Product Design team: our people, our structure, our processes, our beliefs
- Collaborating with leaders across the company: other design leaders, Research, Data Analytics, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, & more
- Growing Intercom Design by recruiting & representing us publicly in ways like writing for our blog, speaking, tweeting, community building & outreach, & more
What skills do I need?
- Experience managing product designers & genuinely caring about how the people who report to you perform, feel, & grow. The ability to develop a genuine relationship with people & help them grow, learn, & succeed.
- Experience designing digital products & systems. This isnt solely a people management roleyoull also be involved with & guide the product work. All of our managers care deeply about & actively engage in our product development process, details, & outcomes.
- A working knowledge of the full stack of product design, from systems thinking to visual design. You dont need to be a specialist in all of these things, but you should be able to have informed, intelligent conversations.
- Ability to communicate with precision, clarity, honesty, & respect.
- Ability to envision & lead change. There are many things that we still need to evolve & improve about how we work, & design managers are a key part in driving that change. Were looking for someone who aligns with our values, but also who makes us better.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. Passion for building product. A desire to make things better.
We'd also love to see your portfolio of design work. It should touch on the problems you solved (ideally focused on designing software products) & the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If theres something important to you thats not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary & equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods & a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health & dental insurance for you & your dependents
- Open vacation policy & flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If youre cycling, weve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but were happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people & we want to continue to attract & retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive & diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.