At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Product team at Cloudflare sits at the intersection of software development, design, & business strategy. We shape high-level product goals but also get our hands dirty. We have ultimate responsibility for understanding our client needs, influencing business strategy, feature specification, & working with engineering to develop our software.
About the Role
Application development was completely transformed by the shift from on-premise to the cloud. No longer did a developer have to maintain their own hardware. But theres still plenty of overhead involved in the software development process. The OS remains the responsibility of the developer: managing instances & clusters. What if, instead, developers could simply write code & that code would be deployed all around the world, close to end users, so that it was incredibly performant?
Thats the vision for Cloudflare Workers to bring the best of serverless & edge computing together, allowing developers to focus on what they do best: write code.
Cloudflare Workers is our powerful serverless development platform that allows developers to augment existing applications or create entirely new ones without configuring or maintaining infrastructure. As a Director of Product Management for Cloudflare Workers, you will lead a passionate team of PM's responsible for the Workers Platform, Tooling & Developer Advocacy.
You already led teams to build successful developer-focused platforms & products in an agile software development environment. You will guide new product development through all stages of the product life cycle, from identification of customer needs & product definition through development, launch, & sustainment. You will lead our Workers Platform strategy & roadmap for the company. To effectively deliver on this vision you & your team will partner closely across the company with Product Strategy, Engineering, Marketing, Sales & other functions.
This position requires you to be a self-starter with the ability to take ownership, work with tight timelines, handle various tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude. In addition, great oral communication & written documentation skills are critical for this role for promoting ideas throughout the company.
What youll do
- Lead & encourage a team of accomplished product managers, enabling high performance & removing obstacles to attainment of their objectives
- Hire, develop, & retain extraordinary talent to scale the function & meet business goals
- Guide the development of product strategy & roadmap for a broad portfolio which includes everything from our Workers Runtime to Developer Experience to Developer Advocacy.
- Lead PM efforts across teams from ideation through launch, & continuing through ongoing maintenance & support
- Implement best-in-class product management processes to increase team velocity, quality, & accountability
- Develop & nurture relationships with engineering leadership & coordinate closely to ensure successful delivery of product
- Partner with leaders in other departments such as Product Strategy, Product Marketing, Marketing, Sales, & Customer Support to drive adoption with & gather feedback from customers & prospects
- Ruthlessly prioritize across a complex environment of diverse customers, stakeholders & objectives
- Build alignment & effectively influence senior-level partners
- Identify new markets & opportunities for product expansion & build the external & internal relationships required to realize them
- Represent the company externally as needed, including meetings with customers & prospects & large speaking engagements
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded & thrives in a fast-paced & goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication & collaboration skills & are able to work with a diverse group, get alignment, & drive the product forward. You are execution focused & emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details. You have experience in & passion for building world-class Developer tools & platforms & want to solve the problems of delivering powerful & performant applications at global scale.
- BS/MS in a technology field
- 10+ years of product management experience, with significant experience delivering developer-focused products and/or platforms
- 5+ years of experience building & managing product teams
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead & develop a team of high-performing product managers
- Proven track record shipping developer-focused products & platforms at scale in a highly dynamic environment
- Proven ability to articulate a vision & strategy in a way that inspires & motivates a team & focuses their energy on achieving business goals
- Skilled in providing analysis & estimation of the strategic & financial value of new products & features
- Significant experience working in a fast paced, high growth company
- Strong technical abilities. You are intimately familiar with modern software development practices used to build & deploy applications. You are capable of wading into the details, but can also drive 30k foot view
- Strong presence & seasoned public speaker who can articulate a narrative & inspire alignment
- Experience building great user experiences; drives elegant, simple interactions
- Strong customer & stakeholder empathy. You must be not only the voice of the customer, but at various times the voice of marketing, finance, engineering, support & ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
- Ability to validate early ideas through quantitative & qualitative methods (A/B & multivariate testing, user testing, etc). Experience in user experience (UX) design a plus.
- Hands-on experience with developer tools & platforms used for building scalable, cloud-based applications.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.