About the Role
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist Lead is responsible for assisting the Laboratory Supervisor with the general supervision of Clinical Laboratory personnel & the daily operations of the Laboratory. The CLS lead is also responsible for performing high complexity laboratory testing (Next generation DNA sequencing) on patient specimens, performing quality control & quality assurance guidelines & complying with all applicable local, state & federal laboratory requirements.
The CLS Lead will often be the first point of contact for CLSs & Laboratory Associates during laboratory processing & will provide guidance while troubleshooting high complexity technical & non-technical problems. The CLS Lead must act as a liaison between the CLSs & Laboratory Associates & the Supervisors. The CLS Lead will be involved with training, scheduling, troubleshooting, leading projects, meeting project deliverables, & understanding & implementing laboratory goals. The CLS Lead must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, decision-making, ability to remain professional & composed under pressure, effective interpersonal skills, the ability to analyze complex issues & make sound decisions, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly & ethically, & the ability to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances.
The work requires keeping meticulous & organized records, excellent attention to details, effective written & verbal communications skills, the ability to multi-task & be flexible with tasks & schedules, & the ability to work independently in a team environment. The CLS Lead must also demonstrate excellent communication skills, proactively communicating team goals & priorities clearly, openly & objectively, & communicating changes, issues & challenges in all directions of the organization.
How youll contribute:
- Be responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including but not limited to scheduling, independently troubleshooting & resolving technical & non-technical problems that may adversely affect the test performance
- Operate, maintain, document, & troubleshoot laboratory tests, samples, & equipment according to the laboratorys standard operating procedures for the following but not limited to: centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, pipettors, Thermomixers, Fragment Analyzer, Microplate Reader, NovaSeq, Hamiltons, & Workcells
- Lead & participate in introduction of assay improvements, new assay configurations & validation.
- Perform, review & document laboratory quality control procedures.
- Assist with training of new laboratory personnel & training of new procedures with existing personnel.
- Participate in internal & external inspection preparation activities
- Prepare reagents required for testing & perform & document reagent qualification per the approved protocols
- Provide assistance to the Laboratory Supervisors including but not limited to:
- Delegate tasks & assignments to Clinical Laboratory Scientist & Laboratory Associates
- Managing staff schedules based on the number of staff & workload in the absence of a supervisor
- Supervise unlicensed & licensed personnel.
- Take charge of shift communication
- Provide updates to supervisors regarding any issues
- Monitor & oversee training schedule for new employees
- Perform annual review of Standard Operating Procedures & Work instructions.
- Review, interpret & report patient results, as needed
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory established performance specifications.
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Laboratory Supervisor or Safety Officer.
- Ensure consistent compliance with all federal, state & local regulatory requirements & with all company policies & procedures.
What youll bring:
- Must possess a valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license (Generalist preferred, CGMBS accepted)
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field
- Working knowledge of local, state, & federal laboratory regulations
- At least 4 years of Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent
- Ability to integrate & apply feedback in a professional manner
- Experience managing clinical laboratory personnel preferred
- Laboratory testing experience within the last five years preferred
- High volume laboratory experience preferred
- Experience in molecular biology techniques preferred
- Strong automation & computing skills
- Ability to analyze & problem solve complex issues that may impact test performance
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, & ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology & machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple & accurate blood tests for early cancer detection & integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care & science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds & accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Societys BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis & Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, & immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods & applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, & 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets & modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, & aging. The synthesis of Freenomes datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, & audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection & early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, & passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems & ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, & trust in one another, & we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues & those we serve. We assume positive intent & give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering & supporting each other in a collaborative & dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, & execute their own goals with ownership & alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, & holding themselves & their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study & believe that hiring & mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome & provide constructive feedback & criticism, trusting in others good intentions, & being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn & grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, & want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, theres no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.