Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging & interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about helping developers build & deploy real-world applications.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, & motivated self-starter to join the Product team to collaborate on our product documentation efforts for Compute, Storage, Network, & Developer Tools products, & services. Reporting to the Technical Writing Manager, the Technical Writer will work across the organization to produce product documentation & set standards across the team.
The reward? You will get to work with a team of high-energy & dedicated product managers, designers & engineers to impact the lives of developers by simplifying innovation for them. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a technical background who is interested in teaching & communicating how our products work in a simple & clear way. You should be highly collaborative, enthusiastic about helping others, & able to communicate clearly in a variety of contexts (one-on-one, small groups, email, tutorials, etc). In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative & comfortable work environment, & the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced & growing technology company.
What youll be doing:
- Verifying & explaining the technical functionality of in-progress & release-ready cloud-based products.
- Collaborating with product design, engineering, product management, & product marketing to create user-focused documentation for novice & experienced software developers.
- Reviewing other team members' writing.
- Maintaining existing documentation as changes are introduced to existing products.
- Editing content written by product managers, support advocates, & engineers.
- Publishing content written in markdown & Hugo, reviewed on GitHub.
- Continually improving the writing team's content, style, & processes.
What Youll Add to DigitalOcean:
- Strong written & verbal English communication skills.
- Strong research skills & the ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly.
- The ability to give & receive feedback to arrive at the best possible experience for users.
- A portfolio of writing for a technical audience on cloud computing or related concepts (can be professional, educational, or personal work).
- Experience with software version control & ability to use a Git-based workflow for writing collaboration.
- Experience with:
- The Linux command line
- Installation & configuration a variety of web applications from the command line
- Documentation of in-process software
- Writing content in markdown
- Experience working & collaborating remotely
- Excellent organizational skills & time management
Bonus experiences include:
- Professional experience with requirements gathering & manual or automated acceptance testing
- Experience, in any role, as part of agile & traditional product & engineering teams
- Experience with static site generators (especially Hugo), Atlassian tools, Slack.
- Experience with container-based technologies such as Docker & Kubernetes
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC & Cambridge, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Product #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Product team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!