Lead Software Engineer
WHO ARE WE?
The tech team builds the systems & apps that communicate with our customers, warehouses, customer service, payment providers, & more. In short, we create & manage the systems that keep the business running and, more importantly, make dogs happy. We work collaboratively (no such thing as a dumb question) & scientifically (test & measure whenever we can), while taking the work--but not ourselves--too seriously. We generally work on squads of engineers, product designers, data analysts, QA & product management. We also work closely with stakeholders throughout the company to get things done. We see technology as a means to an end; we love solving problems & making the most of our time!
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR
Engineers at BARK own the design & implementation of new features. They also improve our current codebase. Engineers on our team are enthusiastic about optimizing large scale operations, as well as building intuitive, friendly interfaces. The ideal person gets a thrill from applying creative problem solving, while balancing ambitious timelines with technical rigor. You know that the success of the company lies in the strength of the team. & are excited to collaborate & mentor. Plus, you love that the code you deploy results in tails wagging across the country!
- You are someone who people want to work with. It's not only that you have great ideas, it's that you make other people better too.
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work & their career aspirations, including conducting regular 1:1s, evaluating performance quarterly, & setting actionable goals that help individuals grow as well as move the company forward.
- Product Focus:
- Participate in the ideation & planning of features to set the team up for success. We build to deploy.
- Prioritize & plan the work of the team alongside your engineers & product manager. Help set ambitious but achievable quarterly goals.
- Build beautiful intuitive user interfaces & build on our backend services to access customer data.
- Feature Delivery:
- Write well-designed, testable & reliable code as you ship features that make dogs happy (and your coworkers too).
- Code Quality:
- Maintain a highly responsive system by ensuring code quality, stability & scalability. You are pragmatic not dogmatic.
- Split your time between managing & individual contribution. We find our teams work best when everyone is close to the code.
- Must Love Dogs
- You have 5 years of full-stack web-development experience & are open to Ruby on Rails.
- You have delivered & maintained production software in a team environment.
- You can design data models & optimize queries.
- You write tests early & often & enjoy working in a CI/CD environment.
- You care about delivering a good customer experience & align your code to that.
- You are comfortable with diving in to understand & build on an existing codebase.
- You value your own time & others & find solutions to optimize it.
- Must love dogs. Love of dirds preferred, but not required.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience & Leadership: You are a thoughtful, talented engineer who has good experience facilitating the work of their colleagues & reports. You have:
- 5+ years of hands on engineering experience
- 1+ year of managing or leading technical teams & guiding them to success
- Experience using, or willingness to learn Ruby on Rails
- Goal Driven: You set clear, meaningful goals that are aligned with our customer & business goals. The entire team can rally behind them.
- Humility: You're humble, self-aware, & always give credit to your team.
- Communication skills: You are a strong, transparent communicator, & have worked in a matrixed product organization. You are ready to work closely with developers, qa, designers, & product managers. You are able to communicate goals clearly to your team & stakeholders.
- Empathy: Youre a respectful & empathetic teammate who is willing to go the extra mile for others. You care about helping us create a diverse, inclusive workforce where we respect all & practice empathy at every opportunity.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located remotely within the Philippines .
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.