Replica is an enterprise data platform that delivers critical insights about the built environment. With better data, human-context & an intuitive design, Replica helps public & private sectors make informed, effective, & responsive decisions. By showing how people live, move & work, we contextualize hard choices, allowing our clients to see around corners & understand the trade-offs surrounding their decisions. Whether for a city planner increasing public transit to underserved neighborhoods or for a grocery chain evaluating where to open a new location, Replicas insights help clients make more informed, people-centered decisions.
We spun out of Alphabet in 2019 & recently secured series B funding from venture firms including Founders Fund, Innovation Endeavors, Sidewalk Labs, Firebrand Ventures, & Revolutions Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. Today, we are a team of 50 employees with offices in Oakland, New York, & Kansas City.
We value our customers, believe in being resourceful, & work in service of each other to scale our product. As we build our team, we are committed to pursuing & bringing together a diverse workforce & creating an environment of inclusion. We value our differences & we encourage all to apply. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Replica is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Application engineering team. This team is responsible for the end user interface where customers can access, analyze, & share Replicas geospatial data. In tandem with product management & design, this team develops new features for the data visualization web application including the services & storage stack behind it. This requires technical experience with scaling up an engineering team that supports React on the frontend & NodeJS on the backend. The storage layer consists of columnstore (e.g., ClickHouse, BigQuery) & RDMBS (e.g., Postgresql, PostGIS).
The main responsibility of the EM will be to manage the engineers on the engineering team in order to gather feedback from them on topics ranging from project progress, internal processes, career development, mentoring, & general satisfaction. You will manage the teams execution through defining technical vision, identifying roadblocks & resolving them, & retrospectives. Additionally, you will work closely with the PM lead to scope, resource, & execute against quarterly roadmaps & sprint plans.
We love candidates who have superior communication & collaboration skills & can understand complex systems, mentor their team & are passionate about helping others perform at their best. If this describes you, get in touch with us!
The Engineering Manager of the Application Team will report to the VP of Engineering. This role will work closely with the product team (product management, product design, product marketing) & will be a peer to the Data/Infra Engineering Manager.
- Manage a team of full stack & front end engineers on the application engineering team.
- Ensure a great, reliable experience for Replica users while simultaneously enabling a rapid pace of development.
- Work with other engineering leaders to guide & shape the culture & growth of the engineering team at Replica.
- Coach engineers in their technical & professional development: set goals for individual growth, have 1:1s with engineers, coordinate reviews, & deliver performance feedback.
- Work closely with recruiting & other engineering managers to grow the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences & events, & onboarding new employees.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, & success of technical projects.
- Contribute technically to projects.
- Experienced: 2+ years of experience managing a full stack engineering team, 4+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- Education: BS, MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- Customer-focused: you understand that building great products start with the customer & you yearn to work with product & design to learn more about their product needs & translating that into engaging & remarkable product features.
- Strong collaborator & communicator: you are highly effective at cross-functional team management & have an innate ability to communicate both business & technical topics to diverse audiences.
- Versatile self-starter: you are intrinsically motivated at driving projects from start to finish & are comfortable in distributed, fast-paced environments, subject to rapid change & innovation.
- Data background: experience with SaaS & data visualization is a very strong plus.
- Technical: experience or familiarity with the following technologies (which we use): React, Redux, Node JS, Express JS, Typescript, Mapbox, D3, deck.gl, Python, PostgreSQL, ClickHouse.
What We Value
- We work in the service of others
- We understand that talent + diversity + curiosity + relentlessness wins
- We believe walking > talking
- We operate with thoughtful urgency
- We communicate openly & directly
- We build products people use
- Our people! We work as a team & are excited to contribute to city planning
- Competitive salary based on experience & potential for impact
- Equity at an early stage startup
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA & HSA options
- 401k account + employer contribution
- Offices in Oakland, New York, & Kansas City
- Flexible PTO
Replica is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to operate at both a strategic/conceptual level & at a detailed, operational level metrics driven; highly disciplined
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity & good judgment & be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals
- A hands-on, action-oriented approach that fits well with the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture
- Engaging leadership style that builds & sustains credibility with colleagues, clients & other stakeholders
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning & marketing, sales & market development & planning
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.