Head of User Research
At Deliveroo, we are customer obsessed, & we get to the bottom of things. The Research & Insights team sits at the intersection of these values. Its our job to use research to understand what customers need, & to advocate for the customer at all times within the business. For Deliveroo, customers doesnt just mean consumers who use the app, but also the tens of thousands of restaurants on our platform & the riders that deliver with us.
As the Head of User Research your primary responsibility will be to build & maintain a high performance team of User Research practitioners & Research Operations (ResOps) staff within the Research & Insights function. As Deliveroo continues to double in size each year its necessary for the User Research team to scale to meet greater & greater demand for primary product research - meaning you will join with the pre-allocated headcount needed to realise an ambitious remit.
On any given day members of your team might be investigating how Deliveroos riders make decisions about their working patterns, shadowing members of staff at one of our Editions kitchens or building a set of recommended improvements to the order tracking experience in our consumer app. The purpose of this work is to help Deliveroos Product & strategy teams understand, & act on, the needs of our customers. The questions the User Research team tackles are typically complex, foundational & socially meaningful.
Responsibilities of the role
- As the discipline lead for User Research you will oversee hiring of User Researchers & ResOps specialists. In addition to line managing & resourcing staff within the team, you will define the strategic vision & ways of working.
- You will oversee the research roadmap and/or project prioritisation for all three sides of Deliveroos marketplace. You will have the autonomy to decide where the User Research team focuses its efforts in order to maximise impact, & advocate most effectively for Deliveroo's customers.
- You will set & maintain standards to ensure a consistently high quality of work is produced across the discipline. Where colleagues have methodological gaps or development areas, youll create learning opportunities.
- You will own the teams relationships with senior Product & business leaders & the heads of adjacent disciplines (eg. Insights, Content Design & Product Design). Where these conversations identify areas for User Research to better meet information needs of the business, youll put effective course corrections in place.
- You will be accountable for Deliveroos self-serve research toolkit & educational materials (e.g Usertesting.com), to ensure colleagues outside the User Research function can effectively & rigorously answer their own questions in the absence of dedicated support.
- You will effectively advocate the work of the User Research Team to senior & Exec level stakeholders, & educate the wider business about how best to engage the team & responsibly interpret the insights it generates.
Requirements of the role
- At least 4 years practical experience as an individual contributor in a User or Product research team.
- At least 2 years practical experience line managing research practitioners. You will have previously owned or participated heavily in the hiring process for your team & have fostered a culture of diversity & inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability translating research insight into action, & guiding others to do the same. You will be able to provide examples of your teams outputs informing decisions ranging from product strategy, to feature prioritisation & the details of design execution.
- Deep expertise in all stages of the research process: building a roadmap, scoping individual studies, undertaking diverse forms of data collection, analysing & socialising the findings. You will have a mixed methods toolkit, be able to jump into a project when needed & coach members of your team in the craft of research.
- Experience working in high-growth product companies with an international footprint, and/or collaborating with these organisations from the agency side.
- A clear & informed set of opinions about the value of User Research & the qualities of an highly effective/impactful User Research team.
- Strong literacy of product development, innovation, data science, human centered design & market research. Practical experience in one or more of these areas would be highly valued.
- A sincere belief in the importance of ethically & legally compliant research. For you, good data governance is a table stakes quality of good User Research.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient & accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when & where they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy & ownership, & we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business & we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away & relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in & how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food & a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.