Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour & many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
About This Role
We are looking for a Digital Managing Editor to join our Publishing team. This role will be focused on managing the digital editorial calendar in partnership with other editors, as well as assigning & editing new digital MasterClass articles, to drive growth of our online education platform. This is a great opportunity for someone who has previous editorial experience paired with an interest in the business of digital publishing. Must be comfortable with a high volume of work while upholding the highest standards of editorial integrity.
What Were Looking For
- Deadline-driven with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to balance data/insights & editorial acumen when making decisions about content
- Capable of creating & maintaining an editorial calendar in accordance with key dates & other priorities
- Excellent writing & editing skillsdemonstrates a high level of confidence in making decisions ranging from the grammatical to tactical SEO optimizations
- Ability to work independently & collaboratively; comfortable delivering feedback to wide range of contributors
- Proven leadership abilities; capable of motivating a team to deliver on high impact initiatives of medium to large complexity
- Thought partner with the Director of Publishing to craft upcoming content strategy & follow established editorial calendar; stay up to date with industry trends that will directly impact strategy & proactively suggest solutions in moving forward
- Support broader SEO team in brainstorming, executing, & iterating on content experiments
- Ensure adherence to brand style guidelines & SEO best practices across entire article portfolio; document evolution of style guidelines & disseminate to relevant teams, as required (by addition of new verticals, or introduction of new industry standards)
- Identify opportunities to develop either new clusters of content around high leverage topics or upgrade previous clusters of content according to past article performance
- Collaborate with Managing Editors in maintaining high editorial standard of integrity across articles
- Bachelors degree
- 7+ years digital media or digital publishing experience
- Previous experience with SEO required
- Crafting an effective editorial strategy
- Familiarity with industry-standard tools & processes
- Understanding of applying data to content decisions
- Self-starter & highly motivated
- Growth mindset
- Roll-up-your-sleeves attitude & grit when faced with ambitious goals
- Highly organized & laser focused; must be able to quickly identify everything from grammatical & spelling errors to additional content creation opportunities
- Excited to work with an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced environment
- Full-time in our San Francisco or Los Angeles office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.