Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you value the pursuit of a compelling mission & an opportunity to play a significant role in an expanding business, please join us!
As Sr. Manager, Public Relations at Codecademy you will lead a key function & serve the Codecademy mission, helping us reach & educate people all over the world by sharing the Codecademy story & those of our learners. In this role you will be responsible for developing our public relations strategy, annual plan, & quarterly OKRs. You will also execute the function by developing communications assets, preparing CEO/Executives for speaking appearances & interviews, & delivering on all aspects of the plan.
The scope includes corporate, business, consumer & internal communications across our global business. Being at the forefront of our communications will require an ability to manage (potential) crisis situations, time bound opportunities, & well honed sensibilities across all forms of communication. As a leader within the greater Marketing team, you will support product launches, seasonal & evergreen campaigns, & programs such as member referral, student initiatives & more.
This role is strategic & dynamic, benefitting from an independent, creative & critical thinker. The ability to take initiative & thrive in a constantly changing environment, while forging connections across every area of the organization, including the executive group is vital. The ideal candidate is a connector, storyteller & collaborator with professional connections to major media outlets & within the tech community. Familiarity with edtech/online education media is not required, but a major plus! This role reports to the VP (head of) Marketing.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop, manage & execute a strategic communication plan across every aspect of the Codecademy brand & business. This includes Corporate, Consumer, B2B, & Internal, across our global geographic footprint
- Capture, understand, communicate & (where applicable) leverage industry & competitive trends that advance our Corporate & Marketing plans
- Identify creative story angles to generate interest & elevate our visibility, share of voice & brand sentiment
- Take charge in drafting PR collateral such as briefs, media pitches & press releases
- Nourish industry relationships across your network
- Evolve & maintain our Media list
- Summarize & communicate media coverage through the lens of Codecademy, EdTech, & Business/Technology
- Develop a measurement approach for Public Relations to understand success, ensure feedback loops & capture meaningful insights
- Employ a global focus, expanding scale through regional approaches
- Effectively communicate results & insights across stakeholders
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 8+ years in Public Relations & Communications, with a background including both corporate & consumer, with some technology & international experience
- Track record of developing & executing strategic PR initiatives, working cross functionally to deliver measurable results
- Professional relationships with key media outlets & personalities across consumer, business & technology
- A knack for storytelling & the ability to package the everyday as something compelling & meaningful
- The ability to predict coverage & themes in the media sphere & shape our message to maximize coverage & shape the narrative
- Expertise in the delivery of news media & editorial across traditional & digital platforms
- An ability to make recommendations, establish reasonable timelines & areas of responsibility, anticipate costs, & identify measures of success
- Strong project management & prioritization skills to ensure we focus on what really matters
- Acting without ego to serve the interests of our learners & our mission
- A bias for action, coupled with strong perceptive abilities & intuition
- This role involves leadership, management, & execution - a great fit represents appreciating & understanding how to blend them for maximum impact
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.