BuzzFeed's content department is looking for a full-time, in-house Senior Copy Editor to work with our editorial team in our New York City office. We're looking for a self-professed word nerd with a comprehensive knowledge of (and passion for) grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, & all-around proper use of the English language. The copy editor will manage copyediting editorial & branded content in all forms, including posts & video.
You have solid copyediting & intrapersonal skills & experience with light fact-checking & know how to edit for accuracy & consistency without losing tone or voice. Are you incensed by the misuse of homophones? Can you spot a typo with your eyes half-closed? Are you simply going to lose it the next time someone uses a hyphen instead of an em dash? (You get the picture.)
You may be asked to complete a copy test before being interviewed. We're looking to hire someone who can start as soon as possible.
- Copyedit BuzzFeed posts & videos for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, & consistency
- Assist with light fact-checking
- Partner with writers, account managers, & sellers
- Show awareness of brand tone, flagging any copy for sensitivity issues or misalignment with client demographics
- At least three to four years experience copyediting in an editorial role at a website or magazine
- Familiarity with AP & Chicago style guides
- Deadline-oriented with solid collaboration skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to new writing styles & formats
- Familiarity with British English a plus
- Comfort with the fast pace of internet publishing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition
- Your rsum
- A cover letter that explains why you'd be perfect for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeedcelebrates inclusion andis committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA & NYC!
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.