About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for a sharp, detail-oriented Newsletter & Digital Producer who is passionate about newsletters & enthusiastic about The Intercepts mission & core areas of coverage. We are seeking a digitally savvy journalist with a comprehensive knowledge of AP style & SEO best practices. The candidate should also feel comfortable handling all aspects of daily newsletter production, from writing to curation to editing. The Newsletter & Digital Producer will work closely with the Director of Membership, Director of Audience Engagement, & Copy Editor.
- Write, curate, & edit copy for weekly newsletters & one-off emails to subscribers
- Ensure clarity, accuracy, & consistency across a range of content, from newsletters to quick news articles to in-depth investigative projects
- Able to work independently & also collaborate with editorial, design, & research teams during production process before publication. (Editors will often hand over stories for the Digital Producer to take to publication.)
- Write clear & engaging headlines, captions, & social media copy consistent with The Intercepts tone
- Handle the production process for newsletters, including running A/B tests
- Extremely organized & able to simultaneously manage deadlines on multiple articles in a quickly moving digital newsroom
- Ability to work quickly & carefully in response to breaking news
- 7+ years of work experience, including 3+ years of working in digital journalism
- Strong writing & editing skills, meticulous, & ability to adhere to tight daily deadlines
- At least three years of copy editing experience. Familiarity with content management systems; WordPress is preferred
- Ability to quickly turn around both a copy edit on a breaking news story, & rapidly produce an engaging email alert to subscribers related to the reporting
- Proficiency with MailChimp, Constant Contact, or other email service provider or constituent relationship management system, or ability to learn quickly
- Well-organized, hardworking, & able to simultaneously manage multiple stories & projects in a fast-moving news environment
- Knowledge of the investigative news landscape, including topics related to national security, government surveillance, & social justice
- Excellent news judgment & commitment to the highest standards of journalism
- Experience with A/B testing and/or engagement analytics is a plus
- Willingness to start early or work later as the news cycle demands
- Collaborative, professional, nimble, & flexible work style; comfort working in a small, fast-paced digital newsroom with shifting needs & demands, with writers who have a range of political viewpoints
This role will be based in NYC, but will consider Washington, D.C.
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Union."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.