Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, & chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Meetup is looking for a Privacy Counsel to advise on data privacy & cybersecurity issues & work with product teams to develop compliant products. This is an exciting opportunity to join a legal team serving an innovative & mission-driven tech company within The We Company family. Meetup lawyers partner with internal business counterparts & collaborate with one another & members of The We Company legal team to support the Meetup business.
What youll get to do in this role:
- Serve as an advisor for product & engineering teams to ensure that products & infrastructure are compliant with applicable laws & regulations, incorporate privacy-by-design principles, & protect the security of our users data
- Ensure & track compliance with GDPR, CCPA, & other data privacy laws
- Develop internal resources & training materials on privacy & cybersecurity-related obligations
- Remain current on broad range of laws & regulations relating to data privacy, cybersecurity, & the tech industry
- Partner with The We Company legal team & external counsel
What were looking for:
- JD with high academic achievements
- 3+ years of experience in-house and/or at top-tier law firm advising clients on data privacy & cybersecurity issues
- Passionate about technology & energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Ability to clearly & effectively communicate complex legal points & concepts to a diverse array of cross-functional internal stakeholders
- Ability & judgment required to understand the balance between business needs & legal risk
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal clients & other members of the Meetup & The We Company legal teams
- Positivity, confidence, self-motivation, drive, independence, & a sense of humor
This is an exciting time to join Meetup. We are going through the process of re-evaluating our priorities & business model, & our legal team provides critical support to the company as it undergoes this highly dynamic strategy process that will impact our future for years to come. We are also a year & a half into being acquired by The We Company, an amazing partner who continues to significantly invest in our growth.
Our team is bold, supportive, & passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, & building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?