Bonobos is looking for an Engineering Manager who is excited to co-lead an initiative team to help build experiences that surprise & delight our customers.
At Bonobos, our goal is to create experiences online that lead to surprise & delight offline in our Guideshop locations - & vice-versa. For example, we'd love to have customers' online wishlist items ready for them when they arrive, or build an app that continues the Guideshop experience when the customer leaves the store.
Our team is a scrappy group of 18 engineers who are responsible for a 9-figure business that is growing 40% year-over-year. We get to the best technical solutions by discussing complex questions as a team. We dont hesitate to change our approach when we hear a better idea. We practice code reviews, automated testing & pair programming when needed. We deploy to production several times a day.
What youll do...
- Co-lead the team with a Product Manager & UX Designer that are both dedicated to the same initiative team. An initiative team consists of the above & ~5 engineers, they own specific initiatives/goals/projects throughout the year
- Serve as the technical manager for that team
- Answer questions & unblock issues brought forth by your team & the engineering team
- Create detailed engineering plans, processes, & procedures for engineering staff to use & abide by
- Check & confirm the accuracy of the work performed & the methods used by your team
- Advocate for unit, functional, end to end testing & quality assurance checks to verify the quality of projects
- Hire, train, & supervise engineers for your team
- Responsible for the coaching, growth, mentorship & career development of your direct reports
- Communicate & collaborate with other managers, vendors, & contractors
- Prepare & deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally & externally
- Have a bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have at least 6 years of engineering experience
- Have 1+ years of engineering management experience
- Have an analytical & logical mindset, & are capable of evaluating & solving various complex problems
- Are a natural leader & have skills necessary to manage & develop a team
- Are organized & an excellent project manager who is able to keep projects, processes, & the entire engineering team on track
- Are self-motivated & have the ability to multitask & thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Have interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
- Have the ability to work individually or as part of a team
- A collaborative & close-knit team: our team is NYC-based & in the office because as great as technology is, there are few substitutes for in-person collaboration
- A team that takes pride in our work & shares responsibility to see it through from conception to deployment to fixing bugs
- Top of the line equipment: your choice of hardware, standing desks, two 27" monitors, & more
- A competitive comp & benefits package, including bonus
- An environment that values honesty, transparency & respect
- Random acts of team-wide fun including in-office happy hours, board game nights, bar nights, book club, & "Camp Bonobos"