Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were making homeownership simpler, faster & most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what its like to buy & own a home in this country, were building things that dont exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, were one of Crains Best Places to work
- Were #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 ons 2019 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, & others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated & quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, & repackage it into something simple, intuitive, & enjoyable.
Thats why we dont distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them part business strategist, part user researcher, & 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Lead Designer
As a Lead Designer at Better, you will be a highly strategic, self-sufficient problem solver. You bring impeccable design taste, a meticulous attention-to-detail, & a passion for representing the user. You will help navigate the complexities of daily UX & service design problems, while helping push the boundary of what design means at Better. Were looking for Lead Designers who are excited by building something from scratch. As a Lead, thats what youll do -- lead, define, & deliver work with tangible business value & real user impact. That means that you partner with Product Managers, Researchers, Engineers & other Designers to shape the overall vision & uphold the standards of the solution.
Collaboration & critique is at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, & a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we dont waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, & iterate -- early & often.
As a Lead Designer, you will help uphold & build on this approach. Were looking for someone to elevate the team, own user-first solutions to business problems, & always look for ways to simplify the experience.
What you bring:
- 6-8 years of experience shipping high-quality user experience solutions
- Proven experience leading designers, projects, & processes including insights, ideation, validation, & implementation
- An ability to blend craft & form -- a deep understanding of composition, balance, & layout with an appreciation for business & strategic needs
- Expertise developing & conveying ideas, data, & business concepts clearly in written & visual format
- Ability to provide a variety of approaches to problem-solving & product development
- Passion for design across digital products, service design, & brand development
- Meticulous attention to detail across applied to everything from strategic & creative direction to usability & pixel-level aesthetics
- Experience partnering with Engineers & Product Managers to ship work on time & scale in line with tech implementations/limits
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter attitude with no problem adapting or flexing on a daily basis
- Extensive experience iterating on products & services in market
- Ability to execute, lead, & oversee functional visual & interaction designs -- including layout, hierarchy, typography, motion, composition, UX, & UI applications
- Relentless desire to push your limits, critique your own work, & elevate the work of those around you
- Organization & analytical skills
- Experience working across web, iOS, & Android implementations
- Deep understanding of the rationale behind good versus bad user experience
- Expertise in Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, & Google Slides
- Self-sufficient prototyping skills in programs like Invision & Principle
What youll do
- Continue to help build out our design system
- Lead a team of Designers & Writers through ideation, concepting, detailed design, prototyping (we dont present here) & final delivery
- Uncover interdependencies, trade-offs, & risks within a given project - making them visible & collaborating to resolve challenges early
- Collaborate with our Brand team to craft compelling stories through copy, video, animation, illustration, & photography
- Craft elegant complex end-to-end user flows for multiple scenarios & user archetypes
- Synthesize product & business goals into user-centric design solutions across multiple products & experiences
- Work with Product Managers & Engineers to set project KPIs, monitor its success, & optimize based on results
- Work with Designers & Product Managers to set timeline expectations & create project plans
- Work with Designers to prototype & envision future product features, including phased feature rollouts & short-term vs. long-term solutions based on engineering constraints
- Help define & iterate how our brand should be expressed across our product
- Work across teams to ensure we are utilizing both qualitative & quantitative insights into our design process & are clear about how they influence design decisions
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers & Researchers right hand & youll work closely to solve complex problems, find compromises & plan effectively
- Mentor fellow designers, encouraging them to take appropriate risks, & providing constructive support, feedback, & critique
Things we value:
- Curiosity.Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness.Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness.No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion.If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street.We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion.You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication.Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building.Doing. Making.Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.