Experience:Undergraduate Juniors up to Masters students
Education: Currently Pursuing Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Highly-Rigorous Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other highly-technical field of study
Position Type: 10+ Weeks
PDT Partners - a proprietary quantitative investment manager - is seeking talented engineering students for Software Engineering focused internships. Our custom-designed program enables students to contribute to our technology-critical, algorithmic trading business while honing their technical skills.
Students will work closely with highly-accessible & supportive senior developers for every project. Mentors are deeply-technical & hands-on developers who provide guidance during the project, & are available for design-sessions, discussions & learning throughout the co-op.
The program's social events - PDT summer picnic, movie nights, ice cream social, bowling night, Yankees/Mets games, board game nights, & plenty of food-centric activities - provide excellent opportunities to get to know our team.
PDT is a fun & collaborative community of passionate engineers, science fiction fans, musicians, martial artists, extreme-sports enthusiasts, & foodies who enjoy a non-hierarchical, professional environment.
Our culture encourages & expects significant contribution from all members. PDT also offers full-time programming & systems engineering opportunities for graduating seniors & masters' students in computer science & engineering.
Most of our software is developed in-house for our algorithmic trading business: off-the-shelf solutions simply don't scale to our needs. You will work closely with expert developers on technically-challenging projects to design, develop, debug, & test our software components for large handling of financial data, for real-time events & batch processing.
Depending on the specific project, you may:
- Gain exposure to various development environments: Solaris, Linux, Windows operating systems
- Work on projects that require client & server-side implementation
- Face problems that don't have well-defined solutions - creativity is essential to come up with the best possible answers, including ones that explore new technologies like web development in Flex
- Learn about the financial markets, risk metrics, & portfolio management
- Navigate various trading technologies like FIX messaging & order management systems
- Construct & maintain precise, large-scale data sets on various database platforms
- Develop code libraries that are used in research infrastructure
You will also learn to correctly apply new idioms, techniques & algorithms in the following areas:
- Program correctness (resource management, exception safety, reentrancy/thread safety)
- Maintainability (portability, good coding practices, adherence to coding standards, unit testing, documentation)
- Efficiency (optimal data structures/algorithms, understanding of high-/low- level implications & trade-offs in design choices, parallelization)
Ideal candidates have the following knowledge and/or wish to learn more about:
- Knowledge of an OO language such as: C++, C#, Java
- Scripting in Python
- Knowledge of databases - SQL, Cassandra, PostgreSQL
- Experience working with Unix
Additional skills & attributes required:
- Interest in working in a world-class, professional environment
- Smart, fast-learner, intellectually curious, problem-solving approach
- Can-do attitude, with sense of urgency
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Committed to improvement & keen to apply constructive feedback
- Excellent academic background from a rigorous & challenging computer science program