Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy & powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE VOICES INCUBATOR
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) launched Grand Challenges to bring the worlds brightest minds together to solve our worlds most pressing challenges. By investing in small-grants & holistic support, the Challenges foster innovation & experimentation for social impact. The Voices for Economic Opportunity Grand Challenge was launched to address the persistent toxic narratives about poverty in the U.S. In addition to providing $100,000 to each Grand Challenge Participant, BMGF is partnering with Purpose to design & support the Voices for Economic Opportunity Incubator.
The Voices Incubator provides resources for participants around community & collaboration, learning & training, & testing & experimentation to support the creation of breakthrough creative, scalable & strategic interventions that begin to shift harmful narratives on poverty & economic mobility in America.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Associate Creative Director who can balance big-idea thinking with solid team management, a great network & experience of working with freelance creatives, & impeccable creative execution.
The ideal candidate for the Associate Creative Director role is a sophisticated, creative thinker whose leadership makes an impact in work & on everyone around them. You create with passion, innovate with every project that comes your way, & thrive in a fast-paced environment. Your work demonstrates a strong point of view with a nuanced understanding of the audience.
Youll oversee talented designers & copywriters working on the incubator. Maybe youve been working in advertising or design, thinking, could I find a place where I could use my skills to address climate change instead of toothpaste? Purpose is that place.
The role reports to the Creative Director & is based in Purpose's New York office.
- Lead creative projects & teams from ideation to pixel-perfect delivery, in partnership with the Strategy, Campaigns, & Project Management teams.
- Set the conceptual & stylistic vision & take a hands-on role in the design for multiple projects & campaigns, providing design solutions that incite participation & engagement. Work will include projects involving brand identity creation, campaign concepting & execution, responsive web design, infographic & data visualization, print collateral, & video graphics.
- Collaborate with Project Management & Strategy teams to manage creative deliverables & ensure deadlines & budgets are met.
- Manage & mentor Visual & UX Designers & support their professional development.
- Lead & participate in winning new business.
- Present creative deliverables internally & externally, guiding teams & clients to solid creative solutions.
- Oversee, develop & continue to build out a creative team in New York
- Proven ability to lead creative teams, guide & relay art & design direction, & communicate a projects creative vision to clients in a compelling way.
- A passion for issue-based or political activism & belief in Purposes work combining storytelling & technology to inspire people to remake the world.
- Expertise in brand development, including a strong understanding of how to incorporate a brand throughout all aspects of a campaign.
- Ability to work well under pressure, maintaining quality & attention to detail under real-world deadlines.
- Self-motivated & collaborative spirit.
- Significant experience designing & concepting in a fast-paced agency or start-up setting.
- Experience in an Associate Creative Director/ Art Director role & with formally supervising & training employees to organize & prioritize work assignments.
- Thorough fluency with Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of additional design, prototyping tools or experience with copywriting is a plus, as is expertise in front or back-end coding, illustration, motion graphics, video production, or photography.
- Strong presentation & client-facing skills.
- Undergraduate degree in advertising, design, or related field or equivalent visual design degree preferred.
Please provide a link to your online portfolio (no PDFs, please) in both your resume & cover letter.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer. Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.