Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Ideal candidates for the Counsel position will have experience reviewing, editing, drafting & negotiating a wide variety of corporate & content-related agreements including work for hire, talent, consulting, vendor, rental, & other commercial and/or operational agreements, preferably in the media, news, and/or technology sectors. In this position, you will work with a variety of teams across the company, including the editorial, video & audio production, events, & corporate teams, in order to customize standard agreements, draft & negotiate agreements, advise on contractor & employment classification issues, & otherwise provide legal advice as needed.
At Vox Media, you will be part of a quickly expanding modern media company that values creativity, innovation, & the empowerment of individuals with the tools to excel. You will be working in a fast-paced, fun environment, & will take an active role assisting Vox Media to scale high-value digital journalism to reach broader audiences.
What youll do:
- Manage, update, & facilitate the distribution of content-related template agreements across all editorial & internal production teams.
- Draft, review, and/or negotiate key terms of standard & commercial contracts, including work for hire, contractor, vendor, talent, & events agreements.
- Advise on contractor & employment classification questions & assist internal business partners in freelancer & contractor management.
- Provide support on corporate insurance-related matters, including advising internal stakeholders of risk assessment & tolerance.
- Draft, review & approve sweepstakes, contests, & promotions.
- Interpret legal documents & provide clear & concise risk analysis, proposed solutions, & legal advice to internal business partners.
- Advise on day-to-day legal matters for the teams you support.
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team on an as-needed basis.
What youll bring:
- Law Degree from an Accredited University; bar admission that can be used in-house in New York State.
- At least two years of relevant legal experience.
- Experience working in-house in a media, internet, news, or publishing company preferred.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of legal matters including intellectual property, IP, production, events, sweepstakes/contests, & content creation.
- Practical approach to legal drafting & problem solving.
- Resourceful, with a strong ability to balance legal risk with business needs.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize & meet deadlines within a fast-paced business environment.
- Excellent communication & organizational skills, including clear & effective written & verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, & strong legal drafting abilities.
- Strong work ethic with attention to detail & quality of work product.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Professional, personable, approachable & courteous demeanor.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, & a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Strong desire to learn the business & to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.