Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is hiring a Senior Interior Designer - FFE to lead the design of furniture, fixtures & equipment inside our homes. From working closely with our architecture team to mentoring young designers, this is a creative role & the right candidate will have a positive impact on the companys design aesthetic, direction & member experience. You will coordinate your FF&E designs with team members who are responsible for finishes selections, & with our developer partners who are ultimately responsible for the design & construction of the home.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage. Your work will have a meaningful & significant impact on the member experience & you will be an important part of the Space team. You will report directly to the Associate Director of Interior Design & Visual Content & work closely with peers in this role. Being an early stage startup there is great opportunity for growth, & to contribute to the formation of new processes & systems. The role is creative, both in interior decoration, & also in problem solving.
- Partner with Interiors team to establish cohesive creative concepts & design intent, adherent with Commons brand design principles, for upcoming homes, including collaborating on mood boards for client approval
- Prepare design mood boards for the furnishings of our homes in line with our brand aesthetics, for client approval
- In collaboration with Senior Interior Designers, work within architectural software to lead furniture programming, fit plans + sourcing across multiple projects, designed in harmony with architects finish schemes
- Lead the sourcing of new FF&E vendors; work with FF&E director to establish large scale trade partnerships with brands that align with Commons values + needs for scale
- Create & maintain FF&E spec book for procurement team; track project spending & ensure selections are made adherent to budget + project schedules
- Provide clear programming + install directives to Commons Opening Team, who will oversee the installation of all FF&E on site
- Style interiors of new Common homes to visual brand standard for photoshoot; partner with photographer on site to ensure homes best features are highlighted & captured
- Creating implementing & managing workflows & setting, planning for & meeting goals
- Mentor & coach junior interior designers; review + provide thoughtful feedback on their work to foster growth
- This role may include the management of direct reports
- Our homes are located in various cities across the USA; this role requires travel to these locations for periods of 1 - 2 weeks at a time
- Other responsibilities & duties may be required from time to time & based on business needs
- You have 5+ years experience in interior design; Hospitality or hotel experience a plus!
- You have a passion & an eye for well-designed residential spaces, furniture, & interior photography
- Proficient in Revit / CAD is preferred
- Experience in managing a team required
- You are able to demonstrate experience & skills in Project Management & client service
- You are able to make independent decisions & prioritize to achieve a project deadline
- You will be comfortable both in the office & in the field (at the homes during move in)
- You are a strong & proactive communicator
- You are keen to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- A team player with a can-do attitude but will ask for help when needed
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave & a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.