At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
As Trade Compliance Counsel, you will manage the optimization of tariff classification, country of origin, valuation, & duty drawback. You will be responsible for ensuring overall compliance with all Import & Trade Rules & Regulations. The successful candidate will have the ability to classify products according to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule & Commerce Control List & a have a complete understanding of Valuation concepts, Assists, Incoterms & Country of Origin determination. This role provides important program guidance & oversight for trade compliance activities related to imports & exports in support of Lyfts global operations. The Trade Compliance Counsel will be a member of the Legal Product Team.
The Trade Compliance Counsel is expected to monitor the external environment ensuring that the Lyft Supply Chain, Logistics & Manufacturing strategy is appropriately architected to ensure compliance & reduce tariff exposure.
- Research & remain up to date with all applicable Trade Compliance laws, regulations, & likely changes
- Maintain up to date knowledge of all regulations & procedures of U.S. Customs
- Review & organize incoming & outgoing documents to ensure compliance with U.S. Customs
- Maintain & perform regular updates to logistics SOPs & import compliance processes
- Give regular trainings to all departments & new hires to ensure import & trade compliance
- Verify & assign Harmonized Customs Tariff Codes to the relevant items & work closely with customs broker on any clearance issues
- Provide advice to internal stakeholders on import & export matters
- Draft Ruling Request & Exclusion Request documents
- Interface with the appropriate governmental agencies, as required
- Formulate ideas & deliver possible trade savings opportunities
- Provide input into supply chain & commodity strategies, ensuring supplier(s) are capable of meeting Lyft's current & future technical & business requirements
- Provide input into Lyft's M&A team to ensure an optimized corporate structure, aligned global trade laws, & regulations
- J.D. degree with an active membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Customs accreditation (e.g. CSS) is preferred, but not required
- 5+ years of industry experience working in Logistics & Trade Compliance
- Experience leading the Trade Compliance strategy for a publicly traded company is preferred, but not required
- Strong consultative, analytical, & problem solving skills
- Ability to be a self-starter & remain flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, & negotiation skills
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues & hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy & safe workplace & strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance & other similar state laws & local ordinances, & its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.