Away is seeking a Counsel to join our Legal team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate will have had experience in day-to-day legal support of significant areas of a quickly growing business, such as people operations, marketing & media initiatives, as well as aspects of rapid retail growth. You will report into the Deputy General Counsel & this position will be based in Soho, New York City.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Be a legal advisor to teams at Away, including the People Operations, Retail, Marketing, & Creative teams.
- Partner with members of the People Operations team to provide legal advice on a broad range of employment issues, supporting our rapid growth on our corporate & retail store teams.
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US & internationally, with an emphasis on marketing, media, business operations, retail store expansion & operations, & commercial transactions.
- Develop & maintain expert current knowledge on new developments & legal guidance relevant to our business.
- Develop & operationalize policies, training, templates & workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Adapt existing approaches for international expansion.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Aways commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Build legal policies, processes & resources for legal review & approval.
- Draft, negotiate, & administer various commercial & technology agreements.
- Counsel & educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications & legal risks.
- Develop, implement & manage a contract management strategy that provides critical business intelligence to the organization
- Iterate on our existing contracts workflow system to capture, track, improve & share key metrics.
- Maintain & update form agreements, contract management systems, & other systems.
Who You Are:
- You have a J.D. from top law school with high academic achievement.
- You have admission to one or more state bars in good standing; NY Bar admission preferred.
- You have at least 5 years of directly relevant experience, including time both at a top law firm & in-house legal experience. Experience counseling on employment issues and/or with a retail environment is strongly preferred.
- You have the ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities & driving results.
- You have the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside counsel, senior management & business partners.
- You have the desire & capacity to learn & teach.
- You have strong business acumen, excellent legal & practical judgment, & strong problem-solving skills.
- You focus on results with a high sense of urgency & demonstrated time management skills.
- You are hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Youre passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!