This is not a remote role & relocation assistance is not available. (Please read the description below thoroughly before applying.)
Boxed, we spend each day defining & leading an industry, obsessing over our customers, & investing in great people to lead the way. Beyond our B2C & B2B relationships, Boxed provides innovative technology options for businesses to access our customers, many of whom are BoxedUP subscription members. Rewarding our teams is where the Benefits Manager comes in.
As a team of ONE, you will own & lead US health/welfare benefit & 401(k) plan designs, communications, financial management, vendor partnerships, payroll interfaces, audits, compliance, & end-to-end administration inc. the annual open enrollment cycle.
- Oversee the providers/vendors & consultants who deliver advice & program components. Identify new benefits/programs based on recruitment/retention priorities.
- Lead decision-making with HR Operations, Legal, Finance, & Executive teams to ensure Boxed is structured to provide a seamless employee experience & benefits delivery.
- Manage the internal marketing of programs as needed (existing & new providers)
- Act as a resource for employee escalations related to all benefits offered by Boxed.
- Manage integration of acquired entities benefit plans.
- Provide on-going & ad hoc analysis of all benefit program performance.
- Keep apprised of applicable laws & regulations to ensure Company compliance.
- Partner with your HR peers & the Controller on payroll issues (payroll is outsourced)
- Manage the relationship & admin processes with our external immigration counsel.
- Respond/resolve all eligibility requests from State Unemployment offices.
- Partner on Total compensation recommendations for new hires & promotions.
- Manage & develop benefits processes that ensure timely tracking, reporting notices, reconciliation, & enrollment consistent with plan & regulatory requirements.
- Reconcile all benefits billing with payroll/AP & enrollment records on a weekly/bi-weekly /monthly schedule. (~125 salaried & ~275 hourly staff.)
- Administer, evaluate & analyze all employee benefit programs. Develop and/or modify specifications for new or existing plans to:
- Maintain the company's competitive position in the local labor markets, & ensure comparability for employees, across all company locations.
- Install approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents & other media for communicating plans to employees. Conduct employee meetings & arrange for enrollment. Counsel management & employees on existing benefits.
- Assure company compliance in all necessary areas.
- Develop benefits information, & statistical & census data for actuaries, insurance carriers, & management. Manage all health & welfare regulatory audits & filings Manage Company/broker responsibilities to ensure thorough & timely submissions.
- Maintain contact in-person, & by phone or e-mail, with insurance brokers, employees & beneficiaries to facilitate proper & complete utilization of benefits for all employees. Handle benefits inquiries & complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Oversee maintenance of enrollment & claims records for all benefits plans. Maintain accurate records in HRMS/IS & Payroll (currently ADP)
- Ability to identify areas for process improvement & work to implement process upgrades alone or with a team.
- Identify & deliver a course of employee education regarding benefit options for all employees those who are local as well as employees throughout the US.
- Coordinate with outsourced payroll processing firm to ensure accuracy & timeliness of payroll submissions & reconciliations.
- Leverage vendors & Legal as a resource to stay on top of all State & Local registrations & federal filing requirements.
- You must be self-directed & self-motivated. The ability to plan & execute on a daily basis without handholding or micromanagement will lead to fulfilling success in this role.
- Strong technical skills (especially Excel/Google Sheets) required; ADP experience a must
- Unbroken record of managing confidential & delicate information related to employees
- The ability to teach & to learn are foremost qualities for being a part of our HR team
- Collaboration must be ingrained in your DNA. Team success over individual success.
- Influential in your demeanor & leveraging your knowledge base, guide the executive team to make decisions that will continue to keep Boxed as a best in class employer
- 5+ years US benefits strategy, design, & administration, as well as payroll experience
- Experience with Total Rewards (including pre-IPO equity) highly relevant & beneficial
- Strong analytical skills & problem-solving mindset with project management experience
- Proven ability to gather, check, & analyze complex information & data, & effectively document & present/communicate findings is critical in this role.
- Ability to work independently & cooperatively with internal/external partners
- Demonstrated familiarity with employee benefit programs & relevant laws that govern them including Medical/Dental/Vision, Life, Disability,401(k) (COBRA, ERISA, HIPPA, etc.)
- Must have experience with all aspects of 401(k): filing, audits, 5500s, non-discrimination testing, etc
- Knowledge of non-US benefits practices beneficial as Boxed scales globally a benefit
Boxed prioritizes diversity candidates, including those with disabilities, as well as candidates with military service in their backgrounds.
Offer of employment conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws & regulations.