BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
BuzzFeed News award-winning culture desk is looking for a reporter who consumes a lot of pop culture & can write quickly & nimbly about the latest trending show, movie, or cultural phenomenon with a compelling point of view. Were looking for an eager, opinionated early career writer to join our team, writing critical reconsiderations, reviews, the occasional personal essay and feature about the way we live now, & stories about celebrity & pop culture.
You should be able to jump on the cultural conversations of the day & also highlight the cultural stories everyone should be talking about. You should have an original voice & sense of style in your writing. In exchange, youll get to work with our talented writers, who have published books & are experts on subjects as wide ranging as true crime & Diet Coke.
This role will report to our Culture team in New York. The fellow needs to be able to attend press screenings in New York or LA so New York or LA candidates are strongly preferred.
- An early-career journalist who can report with a quick cadence
- Able to commit to a 9-month, full time fellowship
- write about one or more stories a week based either on your own pitch or an assignment from an editor
- participate in team meetings that foster idea generation
- work closely with other writers on the team for roundtables & round ups
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth & joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen & interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company
- some experience writing about pop culture on the internet
- the ability to write quickly with a distinctive point of view
- familiarity with the work of competitors
- familiarity with internet culture & social media
- a willingness to write about a wide range of subject matters
Please apply with a rsum, your social media handles, three clips or writing samples, & a cover letter that tells us why youd be a good fit for this job. You should apply even if you're not studying journalism or you've never been published. Not everyone has the same path to this career & industry, & that's why we really do read every single application.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.