Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As a member of the core executive team, the VP of People plans & directs all aspects of the organizations people & talent operations & holds the overall company responsibility for recruitment, employment, leadership development, retention, training, performance management, organizational development, succession planning, associate relations, compensation, diversity & inclusion, & benefits administration.
The VP of People will be a nimble, adaptive, roll up the sleeves business partner that can drive impact & shape a growing & successful business. This individual should possess strong leadership skills, sharp organizational EQ, have a sense of urgency & be proactive in their approach. They will demonstrate highly effective decision making, judgement, communication, & modeling of our company values.
What you'll do:
- Drive our People strategy: Partner with the CEO to drive employee retention, engagement, training, resources planning, company culture enhancement, team building, employee development
- Provide valued consultation: Coach & influence the senior leadership team, playing the role of trusted advisor & partnering with our VP of Finance to drive our headcount planning
- Build the best recruitment process: Bring on-board the best possible talent, define the key metrics & reporting, & optimize our recruiting operations (i.e. sourcing, initial phone screening, in-person interviews etc.)
- Shape & nurture our culture: Help us update our values, & drive continued alignment of our mission, & vision
Who you are:
- The right person will thrive in a "roll up your sleeves" environment, loves solving people problems & can pivot quickly
- A desire & ability to be intimately involved in the business operations as a strategic partner with their own P&L
- At least 8 years of HR experience in a high tech and/or start-up environment, preferably with large & small companies.
- Expertise & hands-on experience in a number of human resources operational areas strongly preferred
- Detail-oriented, data driven & analytical when making decisions
- Deep experience scaling teams & navigating complex organizational structures
- Strong business acumen & the ability to translate business strategy into HR initiatives
Ability to apply unconventional thinking & not deploy the HR playbook from another organization & transpose it to Codecademy
- A structured thinking approach to communicating & are able to use situational appropriate communication techniques including consulting, influence, information sharing & negotiating on complex topics
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.