See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior, Software Engineer on our Email Platform team!
Who we are & why were hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications & data solutions that help companies & developers worldwide build better applications & customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia & Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism & all forms of oppression & bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, & we're looking for more builders, creators, & visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to fulfill the critical role of a Software Engineer within Twilio Sendgrid in creating, deploying & managing highly available, very large scale distributed systems.
Our systems sent 7 billion emails on Cyber Monday 2021 & we continue to scale! You will be a key contributor in one or more of these areas - Re-architecting existing systems struggling to scale, build new product offerings that provide deep insights around the health of our customer's email program, build next generation integration platforms combining Sendgrid tech stack with Twilio's existing platform.
In this role, youll:
- Be An Owner: Contribute in drawing out 1+ year technical strategy for the team. How will you develop a culture of personal & team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes? Operates at the team level, with measurable cross-team impact within the BU.
- Empower Others: Help, guide, mentor & influence the team by sharing your knowledge & experience, in solving complex challenges. Actively remove oneself as a single point of failure.
- Ruthlessly Prioritize: Advocates for balancing between tech debt & feature development by collaborating with engineering & product.
- Wear The Customer's Shoes: Ship reliable features, at scale, that deliver the most value to your customers. You will partner with engineering & product to understand customers challenges, see opportunities, craft solutions, & lead the team to deliver the right value.
- Be Bold: Embrace calculated risks, while understanding the tradeoffs between technology choices.
- Be Inclusive: Collaborate with a diverse group of people with different backgrounds.
- Don't settle: Constantly look for areas of improvement in systems & optimize.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, & we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having desired qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 4+ years of relevant experience building highly available, scalable, fault tolerant & maintainable distributed systems
- Excellent written & spoken communication skills & Having the ability to articulate & present vision to both technical & non technical stakeholders.
- Operational excellence focussed mindset: Understands value of monitoring with metrics & alerting. Knows how to build resilient systems that are maintainable for years to come
- Understands the importance of availability & reliability
- Strong experience with one or more of following languages - Golang, Python, Java, C#, C++
- Strong understanding of SQL & distributed databases like ScyllaDB, ClickHouse, Dynamodb, Snowflake, Cassandra, MySQL
- Experience working with event streaming platforms like Kafka, Kinesis
- Experience with container orchestration & other technologies:Kubernetes, Redis, Buildkite, Chef
- Experience with automated testing: unit, integration, acceptance, staging, etc
- Experience with REST API design & implementation.
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Azure or other public cloud infrastructure platforms
- Experience with email at high scale
This role will be US remote or Vancouver, B.C.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental & wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, & much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, & are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering & donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, & be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $132,000 - $165,000
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidates starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, & geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilios equity plan & for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.