When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges & an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago & finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years & we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines & restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, & giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants & consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world & we do this in real time. Millions of customers & thousands of restaurants & riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And were just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at 7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking & travel to retail & communications - its clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FTs list of Europes fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, & we were the first company ever to win Deloittes UK Top 50 two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Work with brand, product & CRM teams to develop a long term design strategy for our CRM campaigns
- Design & build emails & messages, both in app & using other channels, for our customers, riders & restaurant partners
- Work closely with product designers to create designs that reflect our brand
- Proactively identify opportunities to create consistent communications that deliver measurable impact
- Work closely with Design standards and design teams in defining, designing & evolving high-level design patterns, UI kits, guidelines, & custom tooling
- Drive excellence & champion consistency through a high degree of UI craft & the inclusion of illustration & animation in your work
- Assist with technical implementation: Work closely with UI engineers who build & maintain design systems in code
- Invest in design standards, documentation, & processes alongside your team members to further our design practice
- Work in the way that works for you & what you're designing, whether that's spending time sketching or jumping straight into pixels & code
- Research our market & customer needs & factor them into your work
What you might work on
The products we work on are as diverse as the users we serve, & were fortunate to be in a company where design is a first class citizen. Design spans every aspect of our product & our operations, & during your time at Deliveroo youll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Notifications design
- Product launch GTM
- CRM channels, including email, push & in app messages
- Targeted marketing campaigns
- Product landing pages
- Company support sites
What you should bring
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, & the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
- Are a keen problem solver - you enjoy thinking through complex product challenges & care about solving the right problem
- Have a well trained eye for great visual design execution. You care about getting things right - one pixel off is a big deal.
- Take a strategic view to everything you do - your work stands the test of time
- Are fantastic at communicating your thinking & design decisions - youre able to get people along on the journey with you
- Are well versed at working with disciplines in your work to achieve the best outcome, such as user research, content & engineering.
- Familiarity with HTML & front end in a CRM context
- Familiarity with CRM best practices Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Have a good sense of humour!
- You dont need to have a degree to apply. What matters is you & the work you do.
- Previous experience working on rider/transport or similar products
What you can expect
We try to encourage an informal, passionate & respectful culture where you are given the trust & autonomy to do what you think is right for the company. Were also deeply committed to continuous improvement as a team & company, so everyones input & contribution to making the team better is hugely valued. But most of all, we are creating an energetic & entrepreneurial working environment - no two days will ever feel the same.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in & how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food & a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.