Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who has successfully built & run DevOps & Infrastructure teams. This person will be tasked with effectively organizing our DevOps & Backend engineers around projects & deliverables.
In this role, you will motivate & inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to scalability, reliability, & security as we deliver products & features that empower our learners around the world. You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our infrastructure. Clear communication as an Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
What You'll Do:
- Hire & build an engineering team that is driven by the mission & vision that you champion for the team.
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals & align their ambitions with relevant projects & tasks
- Guide your team on architecting & authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Improve the scalability & efficiency of our infrastructure
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements & automation
What You'll Need:
- 2+ years of management experience
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 3+ years of experience working in a DevOps, Infrastructure, or Backend focused role
- Experience with NoSQL & SQL databases; we currently use a combination of Postgres, MongoDB, & Amazon Redshift
- Experience with cloud services; we use Amazon Web Services
- Experience with containerization tools such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Previous performance management & career goal setting experience
- Previous experience working with cross functional teams
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
- Experience utilizing Codecademys Platform
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
- You've played an integral part in implementing Kubernetes in a past role
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.