The Shipping Lead oversees the day-to-day operations within the functional areas of receiving, shipping, storage / distribution of goods, & logistics. The Shipping Lead coordinates activities & provides coaching & guidance to workers in the quality team. The Shipping Lead works alongside & with the team, stepping in as needed to ensure maximum productivity. The Lead receives direction from Supervisor & carries out instructions based on given directive. The Lead is responsible for following & enforcing all safety, GMP & SQF policies/procedures, as well as adherence to PPE/hygiene policies. The Shipping Lead is required to be certified in operating all material handling equipment as needed by location.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lead a team of 6-10 employees & ensure efficient & safe operations of shipping activities
- Develop your team by ensuring proper training, day - to- day coaching, & certifications are completed
- Communicate daily with carriers to ensure on time compliance
- Plan & assign work of subordinates
- Provide all employees with necessary tools, proper training & corrective direction
- Occasionally required to communicate with other departments within the distribution center in order to collaborate & solve problems.
- Maintain discipline, morale & harmonious relations among subordinates.
- Investigate & adjust personnel problems within area of responsibility.
- Effectively recommend as to hiring, promotions, wage adjustments & terminations.
- Respectfully support & follow direction from management & completes tasks with minimum supervision.
- Train new employees on standard operating procedures
- Responsible for upkeep of equipment including reporting defective equipment to management.
- Maintains the work area in a clean & orderly condition & follows prescribed safety regulations.
- Update data in the computer system; must be able to use a computer & type/data entry using computer programs (Microsoft Office, Google Sheets).
- Leadership: train & develop a large group of employees, ongoing process improvement.
- Problem Solving/Analysis: professional, confidential.
- Results Driven & detail oriented.
- Communication Proficiency: speak to employees with tact & diplomacy.
- Time Management: tracking/monitoring production & maintaining productivity.
- Technical Capacity: Product quality, food safety, computer literacy to input information into the computer.
- Learning Orientation: able to take direction & relay information to employees.
This position provides guidance to employees by coordinating work & resolving problems. The Shipping Leads performance is evaluated by their leadership of the warehouse employees, productivity & prioritization of their designated team, quality/quantity of information reported each shift, & ability to guide employee performance on the team.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is in a manufacturing & assembly environment & is regularly exposed to cool and/or cold temperatures (10 - 40). The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts & vibration. The noise level in the work environment & job sites can be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, reach & lift for a minimum of 10 to 12 hours with or without reasonable accommodation. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects and/or tools. The employee is required talk or hear with or without reasonable accommodation.
The employee must regularly lift & move up to 25 pounds, & occasionally lift & move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision & peripheral vision.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days & hours of work are varied according to shift & production schedule. The employee is expected to work no less than the designated 40 hour work week. Significant weekend work depending on production schedules.
Required Education & Experience
- At least 1+ years of Lead experience for distribution shipping industry/operations or leadership experience required
- 2-year Associates degree required or at least 1+ years experience in lead experience for distribution shipping industry/operations or leadership experience required
- Intermediate computer skills requirement data analysis/creation, Microsoft office & Google Sheets, Email.
- GED/High school diploma required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities & activities may change or be supplemented at any time with or without notice & include any work-related directives given by warehouse manager.