Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, & entertainment company & currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, & technologies transforming our lives & economy; & Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news & headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, & the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President & Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, & Denstu Ventures.Cheddar is looking for a creative, driven, & experienced Segment Producer to put together guest notes, questions, scripts, & visual elements a two-hour live daily news show, as well as occasional special projects. The candidate will have experience working in live news, with an expertise in writing scripts & building show rundowns.
About This Role:
You have a sophisticated knowledge of national news, entertainment, politics, & pop culture, including the business mechanisms that drive each. You have a working knowledge ofor interest inbusiness, tech, media, & consumer names, & an instinct for whats trending. A sense of humor is non-negotiable.
The candidate must also be able to write concise scripts & have experience in a live environment. You need to be able to work in a high-pressure environment & produce under tight deadlines. You should also have experience writing short-form text pieces, based on your research for guests. The successful candidate must be a self-starter & an independent worker. At the same time, he or she must be adaptable & flexible, a team player who is able to mix easily into & work effectively in our small, scrappy, & highly collaborative team.
As with any job in the news industry,candidates should be capable of handling a demanding schedule which sometimes includes early mornings, nights, or weekends.
- Generating exceptional story ideas, reacting to breaking news & developing creative story angles
- Produce guest interview segments for an hour of live news programming
- Build show graphics & elements in rundown software
- Write scripts for live programming
- Write short-form articles to supplement guest segments.
- Coordinate with Executive Producer to make great editorial decisions -- with a keen eye on technology, culture & media
- Participating in social media & achieving an active rapport with viewers
- Experience in entertainment, political, or national news journalism & live production
- Knowledge of news video/TV production
- Excellent research & writing skills
- Strong grammar, copy editing & communication skills
- Familiarity with SEO, RSS, Twitter, Facebook & other social media
- Did we mention sense of humor? We did. But we really mean it.
Our Benefits & Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed & our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast & achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, & different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation & benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, & vision insurance, disability & life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks & snacks, team events, happy hours, & more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, & we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates & are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences & backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.