The BuzzFeed Fellowship is a year-long program for the next generation of writers, editors, & content creators eager to master the tools & techniques of social storytelling on BuzzFeed.com. Over the course of the program, you will learn how to create the type of content that readers love to share. You must have a deep understanding & passion for the digital & pop cultural landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest & greatest in social media, content, & emerging technology/platforms.
Fellows will work with & learn from members of the BuzzFeed team. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in writing. We look for people who are fascinated by the web, human psychology & pop culture. This is a paid position ($18/hour) based in our Los Angeles & New York offices.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is Friday, December 20th at 11:59pm PST. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply. The intended (and tentative) start date for this Fellowship is Monday, February 10th, 2020.
We're looking for hungry culture maniacs obsessed with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending & talking about. You should also have:
- High emotional intelligence
- A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
- A genuine, wide-eyed love of pop culture & internet trends in all their forms
- An interest in social platforms & what drives people to share content on the web
- Curiosity & excitement about social platforms (Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.)
In addition, you should demonstrate the following:
- 1-3 years of experience with writing content for the web (includes internship, freelance, writing for your personal blog, etc.)
- Ability to conceive of ideas, jump on social trends, & produce posts for the website
- Ability to handle critical feedback & improve from it
- Eagerness to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience with design or illustration tools is a plus
Please submit the following when applying to be an Editorial Fellow:
- Instead of a formal cover letter, please include a few short paragraphs about what topics youd want to write about on BuzzFeed, & what about the site interests you.
- Create a BuzzFeed.com/community profile, & create 2-3 posts that reflect your voice & interests. NOTE: Only 1 of the 2-3 posts can be a quiz. When you submit your posts, include This is for the Editorial Fellowship. in the description. Youll be asked to provide the links to your posts when you complete the application. SO, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNITY POSTS PRIOR TO COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION! We encourage you to check buzzfeed.com/trending to see examples of posts that are connecting with people, & to take note of the variety of topics & formats.
- Provide links to your public social media accounts.
- Attach a resume - Keep it to 1 page!