At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.We are working to reshape cities to be built around people, not cars. This requires truly understanding people & creating an experience that brings them joy in addition to being more affordable & efficient.
Lyft is seeking a Director to lead & grow our User Research team on Rider Experience, reporting into our Head of Research. This person will propagate a strong research practice, define a vision & strategy for our rider team, & influence product & business strategy. They will also provide mentorship & will be a champion for both Researcher craft & career development across our rider team, as well as help their team focus on executing their best work.
As a qualified candidate, you have incredible knowledge of product-oriented User Research & best practices & how to build a global User Research function.You have a business mindset, adept at driving company-level strategy with extensive experience in engaging with the VP & C-suite to create adoption & action around User Research insights. Your body of work & overall strong track record demonstrates both clear wins for the user & business impact. You look beyond the individual customer & can help to define strategic wins for society, communities.
You're a proven leader, an excellent communicator, & a cross-functional team player that can thrive in a very fast-paced, dynamic working environment. You are comfortable working closely with passionate Researchers, Designers, Product Managers, Engineers, Marketers, Data Scientists as well as executives that care deeply about creating beautiful, high-impact products.
You know the best work comes from diverse teams & you build an organization that provides belonging to every individual & fosters the greatest talent.
- Manage, mentor, coach, & inspire a team of (7) researchers, providing vision, direction & advocacy
- Work closely with executive & senior leaders on our Rider team to elevate the level of user understanding in all aspects of what we do
- Influence strategy through a team that touches every area of the product & your role in the leadership team
- Build relationships with cross functional team members & executives in our Rider org, & effectively speak to what matters most for our community; be a thought-leader & advocate for user-centered design
- Connect user research to other parts of the company & amplify knowledge across Research, Data Science, Market Insights & more
- Step change productivity & accelerate team efficiency by improving processes & workflows
- Mentor & empower your team to deliver actionable insights & drive impactful product decisions
- Experience leading research teams, 8+ researchers
- 10+ years of experience in UX / Design Research
- Strong systems thinking; ability to understand complex feature & marketplace dynamics
- Demonstrated ability to partner with cross-disciplinary partners like Data Science, Program Management, Engineering, & Market Insights to build holistic insight & drive impact
- A track record of leading research teams that influence not only product decisions but company strategy as well
- Experience informing everything from new products & new categories, to iterative product improvements
- Experience recruiting, hiring, & retaining multidisciplinary research teams
- Devotion to quality craft & a master in research (qual & quant) methods & tools
- Highly compelling communicator with ability to inspire, build alignment & drive action
- Ability to work well in an ego-free, highly collaborative, & cross-functional organization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues & hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws orprohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy & safe workplace & strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance & other similar state laws & local ordinances, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.