At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind & founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users & more than 85% of U.S. teachers. If you haven't heard of TpT yet & want to learn more, just ask any teacher.
The Schools Engineering team is responsible for building our next-generation product offeringTpT School Accessbringing the power of TpT to schools around the world. Youll work full-stack using service-oriented architecture & best-in-class technologies like React, GraphQL, TypeScript, Apollo, Serverless, & OAuth. Youll collaborate on a diverse team partnering closely with product, design, & marketing to build in an iterative, agile way. Youll work full-stack to lay the foundations in the technical stack & developer experience so that the product teams can build & scale new features that enhance our users experience with high-quality onboarding, discovery, analytics, integrations, & other core product offerings.
As a Staff Software Engineer within the Schools group, you will help lead our efforts in modernizing & refining the systems powering TpT School Access that supports millions of teachers each year. You will be expected to help the team prioritize, design & implement the right investments to our underlying technology to support our product roadmap. To succeed, you should be excited to dive deep into technical challenges while also helping technical & non-technical team members understand the progress & impact your team is making. This is an opportunity to help define the technical direction for a critical part of the business & own the improvement of our technical foundations & overall product quality.
- Understand requirements & context to inform how to prioritize investments in our technology.
- Drive the scoping, design, implementation, & operation of major projects spanning multiple engineers, sprints & (sometimes) teams.
- Play an individual contributor or tech lead role for projects as needed for the team & organization.
- Uplevel the engineering team by mentoring other engineers, presenting on best practices, & informing major technical decisions.
- Help shape the long-term technical vision & strategy to achieve & support the Schools ecosystem.
- Take ownership & responsibility for producing maintainable, monitored, & highly available software systems.
- Own & deliver on engineering practices & processes that have an impact on the productivity & engagement of the team & the wider organization.
- Own engineering programs or key objectives end-end that span multiple teams, projects, and/or quarters.
- Deep technical foundation that allows you to engage with & support engineers at the design/review level when making decisions.
- Technical curiosity & experience necessary to own mission-critical systems, coupled with interest in business & product objectives to make pragmatic decisions.
- Strong communication skills with ability to articulate complex technical concepts.
- Leadership skills that allow you to concretize ambiguous goals & rally teams to make meaningful progress.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders & engineering leaders in the organization
- Comfortable with lean engineering & agile project management practices with a track record of successfully managing & delivering on large projects.
- Ability to iterate & create high-quality products using a data-driven approach.
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually & collectively. To achieve our mission of Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best, we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are We Learn & Grow Together & We Enjoy the Journey. Weve committed to these values & to our employees through investing in added benefits & perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO & Wellness Days
- 5 Week Recharge Leave after 5 Years, to refresh & celebrate the impact youve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Mothers Room
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity & belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate & learn from each other
- Professional Development Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion & encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized & celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known. Finally, if youre a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.