ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
Were looking for an experienced data engineer & mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Senior Data Engineer who will help solidify & expand our pipelines & maintain our data warehouse. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love & which can be improved, & which product & marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside analysts, product, marketing, & other teams to define new data collection components & measurement schemes that support each new product & feature.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 4-6+ years of industry experience measuring product performance & user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, & others.
- Experience implementing reporting tools such as Looker
- Experience interfacing with engineers, product managers & analysts to understand data needs
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons, SDKs, APIs including Google Analytics, Amplitude, Braze, Stripe, email service providers
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation & procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy & detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication & trust
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Understanding of the typical metrics a subscription & advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with Google Tag Manager & other measurement management tools
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity & facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.