We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a passionate, forward thinking thought-leader that is adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences & technologies. This person should be comfortable mentoring more junior engineers & having ownership over projects from development to release. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders including our Digital Product & User Experience teams. You will report into our Engineering Manager & be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups & mandatory bias training, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, & fellow engineers to build & plan new features for web properties, including both e-commerce & editorial experiences
- Write robust, scalable, well-designed software that delivers great value to the business, is easy to maintain, & well tested
- Push & refine our technology, user experience, & creative practices
- Create online experiences our customers love that seamlessly tie in with our retail experiences
- Help us transition our front-end from Backbone to React, Redux, & next.js
- Extend our Solidus based (Ruby on Rails) backend application
Who you are:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Skilled at RESTful API design
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. As a global company, our benefits & perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees wellbeing both inside & outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with snacks & coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs & grow your career along the way.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, & events, were building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent & impact our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, & organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey & Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online & through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up & offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage & travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies, & one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London & Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture & a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, & sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.